German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Boy, do I ever suck at being consistent! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/413258-boy-do-i-ever-suck-being-consistent.html)

Blanketback 02-19-2014 01:40 PM

Boy, do I ever suck at being consistent!

I'm not kidding either, although I wish I was. I'm incorporating hand signals into my commands, and my "Down" and "Stay" are what I'm working on right at the moment. Crap, I've caught myself using my left hand instead of my right hand about 4 times in the last few days! I know it's just second nature to use my left when my right is occupied, but I really need to *stop* and *pay attention* to what I'm doing. ARGH!!!

wyoung2153 02-19-2014 01:47 PM

Ha! We all do it!! I personally have to quit using "sit down" for sit and "down" for down.. lol.. I do it ALL THE TIME. No wonder he ends up laying down after a sit command.. *shakes head*

I think you are probably be hard on yourself :)

wolfy dog 02-19-2014 03:01 PM

Ha, ha, dogs are amazingly flexible and will learn what it is you are trying to tell them. They probably think the canine version of "Oh well, he is trying..." :)

MissLilyBean 02-19-2014 03:45 PM

I know your pain. I mix up "give it" and "drop it" too much... among other things. It's taking some getting used to since I haven't had a pup to train in over a decade. And I haven't used verbal commands in a while either since my older dog knows signals.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jafo220 02-19-2014 04:00 PM

I use both hands. Always have used both hands. I was never advised not to. Curiously, why would you only utilise one hand for hand commands?

Lilie 02-19-2014 04:47 PM

I tend to use "Are you serious?" as a correction. An example would be I'd ask my dog to down. He lays down for a moment or two and then pops back into a sit. I'll say, "Are you serious?" and he'll lay back down.

Yeah, I'm a real professional.

Chip18 02-19-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5050922)
I tend to use "Are you serious?" as a correction. An example would be I'd ask my dog to down. He lays down for a moment or two and then pops back into a sit. I'll say, "Are you serious?" and he'll lay back down.

LOL, sounds like Boxer talk!:)

Chip18 02-19-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5049898)
I'm not kidding either, although I wish I was. I'm incorporating hand signals into my commands, and my "Down" and "Stay" are what I'm working on right at the moment. Crap, I've caught myself using my left hand instead of my right hand about 4 times in the last few days! I know it's just second nature to use my left when my right is occupied, but I really need to *stop* and *pay attention* to what I'm doing. ARGH!!!

Yeah reminds me I have to talk to the better half.

When Rock and I are on a walk, I use an open palm at my side to signal him to stop, double insurance.

I was behind the wife and Rocky was behind her on leash,, she had her arms to her side and kinda making unconscious motions with her hand, I observed Rocky watching both her hands as they walked along, wondering what he was supposed to do! Opps!:blush:

SuperG 02-19-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5050922)

Hey....I like that line "are you serious"...I may have to use that one in place of my " really ?"

SuperG

wyoung2153 02-19-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5051162)
Hey....I like that line "are you serious"...I may have to use that one in place of my " really ?"

SuperG

Haha i have integrated "um, excuse me" into our training aparently.. haha. He's always goes back to where he was before i said that.. so smart. :)