German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Banned E collar and Prong collar?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/412066-banned-e-collar-prong-collar.html)

Liz&Anna 02-16-2014 08:57 PM

Banned E collar and Prong collar??

I keep reading things about banning of E collars and prong collars, I saw something about it being banned in Quebec, and a few weeks ago I believe I read something about it being banned in Europe and a few things about the sport of schutzhund changing over there. I don't know if this is already being discussed on here and I feel like I learn so much from this forum and it's conversations. How can they train military or police type dogs with out the use of these important tools??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 02-16-2014 09:00 PM

Are you talking about prongs and e collars being banned as a whole or just with military and police dogs?

nikon22shooter 02-16-2014 09:00 PM

Banned to the public, no one said anything about government use lol.

misslesleedavis1 02-16-2014 09:02 PM

Holy crap, isnt that the owners choice to use those tools, they dont exist because they dont work.

Liz&Anna 02-16-2014 09:03 PM

The few things I read didn't give info about the ban, other then the use of these items were banned. So police and military are not included in it?

Liz&Anna 02-16-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 (Post 5033482)
Are you talking about prongs and e collars being banned as a whole or just with military and police dogs?

Banned to any normal pet owner I guess, Including people who do SCH or PSA...

misslesleedavis1 02-16-2014 09:12 PM

lol that is a bad idea, usually people dont start out with the prong, its usually a tool that is at the higher end of the training tool spectrum for everyday pet owners, people may go, 1) flat collar, 2) martingale 3) gentle leader 4) choke chain 5) prong 6) e collar (sorry if i missed one),
You dont just throw a prong or e collar on any dog but in my experiance alot of everyday pet owners make the choice to use a tool like that based on the fact they have tried everything else, seeked advice and now they are taking it a step up.

Really i feel like it is the owners choice and it should be a tool readily available for owners who understand the proper use of it, not something that is banned.

starburst 02-16-2014 09:15 PM

It's true, the Quebec government has banned e-collars and prong collars.
The Normal Dog: Oh yes they did! Quebec government has said no more shocking and pinching dogs.

misslesleedavis1 02-16-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starburst (Post 5033602)
It's true, the Quebec government has banned e-collars and prong collars.
The Normal Dog: Oh yes they did! Quebec government has said no more shocking and pinching dogs.

That makes me shake my head in disbelief, i saw a trainer wrote the article, i guess she does not realize what works for her may not work for everyone, which sucks and they may find themselves in hot water with there choice to ban those tools.

Liz&Anna 02-16-2014 09:26 PM

I know that some people use these tools incorrectly, and I use to be against them to, but after being around many working dogs (police dogs, bomb dogs even just competitive sport dogs) I learned to see there value and after becoming the owner of a female working line German shepherd who can be extremely hard headed. I fell in love with PSA, and SCH. Now I see things like this and they are very disappointing to read.