German Shepherds Forum banner

Banned E collar and Prong collar??

63K views 617 replies 40 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
I keep reading things about banning of E collars and prong collars, I saw something about it being banned in Quebec, and a few weeks ago I believe I read something about it being banned in Europe and a few things about the sport of schutzhund changing over there. I don't know if this is already being discussed on here and I feel like I learn so much from this forum and it's conversations. How can they train military or police type dogs with out the use of these important tools??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
lol that is a bad idea, usually people dont start out with the prong, its usually a tool that is at the higher end of the training tool spectrum for everyday pet owners, people may go, 1) flat collar, 2) martingale 3) gentle leader 4) choke chain 5) prong 6) e collar (sorry if i missed one),
You dont just throw a prong or e collar on any dog but in my experiance alot of everyday pet owners make the choice to use a tool like that based on the fact they have tried everything else, seeked advice and now they are taking it a step up.

Really i feel like it is the owners choice and it should be a tool readily available for owners who understand the proper use of it, not something that is banned.

#10 ·
I know that some people use these tools incorrectly, and I use to be against them to, but after being around many working dogs (police dogs, bomb dogs even just competitive sport dogs) I learned to see there value and after becoming the owner of a female working line German shepherd who can be extremely hard headed. I fell in love with PSA, and SCH. Now I see things like this and they are very disappointing to read.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
@Liz&Anna,

I think that instead of full on banning them they should have free education explaining to people the positives and negatives of the prong or e collar training tools. You are right, sometimes people dont use them correctly and it makes a situation worse, but as i said before they exist because they work, not because they dont.

#16 ·
Based on bad science and driven by pet trainers and AR activists that have never worked a dog a day in their life.

The wrong people are shouting the loudest.

#22 ·
They should also ban leashes - because some people have hung their dogs with them.

And collars - because some people have grabbed the dog by them and punished the dog.

And cars - because some people have hit animals with them.

Oh, heck - let's just be done with it and ban owning animals, that way no-one can hurt them.

Yeah, and let's ban children because people abuse them as well.

:rolleyes:

#34 ·
David Winners "

Based on bad science and driven by pet trainers and AR activists that have never worked a dog a day in their life.

The wrong people are shouting the loudest. "

once again going through my mountain of saved magazines and books I came across this gem earlier in the month . I was going to share it as a curiosity , now I share it with a purpose . This is going to be a Feed-Back email originally written by a Robert (Bob) Scott . It appeared in our Canadian Kennel Clubs monthly magazine, the official communication from the national breed club . The date of the issue is June of 2008. That is almost 6 years ago. That is how long this topic has been roiling . Mr Scott responded to "Collar debate, continued" some comments in the Feed-back issue in the magazine but the April issue . I have not come across this issue and may not have it . I saved the June issue for the main article on coat color and behaviour , are they linked.
here goes .........

"Please permit me to comment specifically to Shannon Darch regarding her comment about the "prong collar" article (Feedback , April)
Thousands upon thousands of dogs are killed every year in Canada and the U.S. because people have no idea how to manage them, much less train them, and also because of people who've swung the pendulum so far off centre that people are longer even allowed to say NO to their dog for fear of "squelching" its personality!

Cesar of the Dog Whisperer and Brad of At the End of My Leash , and many others like them, are personally responsible for giving a new lease on life to thousands of dogs that would otherwise have been killed in many cases, they have stepped in after people of the Purely Positive ilk have given up on these dogs and their owners. Not every dog owner or dog can be trained and managed by purely positive methods - but they all should at least have a chance at life.
How many dogs have you saved from the needle in your extensive 20 years of cookie and clicker training experience . And how many have you written off.
A prong collar (or any other collar) does not have to elicit 'pain' as you allege, in order to effectively train or rehabilitate a dog. You may think of your dogs as your children, but your dogs do not think of you in those terms and all dogs benefit from understanding their position in the pack.
The dark side? That would be the death of a dog that was failed to be trained by a Purely Positive trainer.
I'll place the bond I have with my dogs alongside yours any day "

#35 ·
You know some people take it to far, when dexter our first was about a year old we took him into pet smart, he went to take a toy of the bottom shelf and andrew had said "NO" in a very stern matter of fact voice, after that we were quickly approached by a lady who was at the other end of the toy section giving up her free unwanted advice about "how you should never ever speak to your dog that way because he is sensitive and you can hurt their feelings its abusive". I told her to mind her own business and she stomped away in a huff, she would be one to advocate against prongs most likely, far too many people are going off the rails with crazy things to say about everything these days.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
I love the quality of Herm Sprenger but this

not so much -- the original prong collar (edited link)
http://www.rayallen.com/product/stainless-steel-pinch-collar/herm-sprenger

allowed for slack , movement from off to deployed . A lightning fast use then off , marking the undesirable behaviour .

The new one is a fixed flat collar . The setting would be "on" all the time like background white noise and not effective other than being an inhibitor to pulling , not so much for training.

I tend to have samples of what is out there -- and so years ago I bought a few of these -- look handsome , politically correct -- need some work on the design though K9 Fun Works

#38 ·
I love the quality of Herm Sprenger but this Amazon.com: Herm Sprenger NECK-TECH Prong Training Collar 24": Pet Supplies

not so much -- the original prong collar (edited link)
Stainless Steel Pinch Collar - Helps Prevent Fur Discoloration.

allowed for slack , movement from off to deployed . A lightning fast use then off , marking the undesirable behaviour .

The new one is a fixed flat collar . The setting would be "on" all the time like background white noise and not effective other than being an inhibitor to pulling , not so much for training.

I tend to have samples of what is out there -- and so years ago I bought a few of these -- look handsome , politically correct -- need some work on the design though K9 Fun Works
I edited the link in your post Carmen. It was 300 characters long and broken. If you wish it to be something else, let me know.

Have you, or has anyone, worked with the new collar? I haven't put my hands on one yet. It still pivots between the links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.