Opinions on using a prong collar? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions on using a prong collar?

I'm thinking of using a prong collar for my female german shepherd but have heard so many bad things about them. also a lot of good results. i had talked to my friends dog trainer and he recommended me using a medium sized prong collar. before i go ahead on buying one i need some opinions on wether i should or not. my shepherd does Great off leash but city rules say i must have her on leash. and she pulls excessively when on one. I've tried using gentle leader but still doesn't seem to quiet work. she's been on one for a couple months but always seems to chew them apart and just keep pulling.
Squinks51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't have a problem with a prong as long as it's fitted and used correctly It can be a great tool, but it's just that - a tool, training still has to be done regardless.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if she can chew the collar it is *excessively* loose.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Used correctly prongs are fantastic tools. Used incorrectly they can be abusive. Important thing to remember when using them is to be tactful. Proper use of one is really something best coached 1 on 1. You cant really learn by reading about it and to a certain extent most probably couldnt learn to use them well by watching someone in a video. It has to be felt.

Use of them also varies dog to dog and situation to situation. It can be a little tricky.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't buy a crappy one - get a Herm Sprenger. You might find a decent one in a pet store, but check the prong tips to make sure they're nicely rounded and not the cheap blunt cut that they also sometimes sell.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Properly used, a prong collar is very humane - dogs don't mind them, and the prong allows you to communicate to you dog very effectively.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

We got a Titan brand prong from a pet store and it works pretty well. I don't know how well this brand would work for a very strong puller. Keep in mind the smaller prongs are much easier to size than the larger ones.

I would look for a trainer to show you how to use one correctly. There are a lot of videos online of people using them inappropriately.

It will help you have more control while you work on training. If you train well, you won't need a prong or head halter to have your dog walking on a loose leash in the future.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have used a prong collar on my dogs over the years under the guidance of a trainer. It was like power steering.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Used correctly prongs are fantastic tools. Used incorrectly they can be abusive. Important thing to remember when using them is to be tactful. Proper use of one is really something best coached 1 on 1. You cant really learn by reading about it and to a certain extent most probably couldnt learn to use them well by watching someone in a video. It has to be felt.

Use of them also varies dog to dog and situation to situation. It can be a little tricky.
This is well put advise! "Properly" used they can turn around a dog real quick! I did it wrong! The only dog I used it on...was the only dog I ever had that would not walk nicely on leash!!!

I got lucky in the sense that my ineptitude did not cause additional issues! If you can get qualified counsel, in the proper use of a prong collar then please proceed.

If you can't do that...no need to reinvent the wheel. I've already proven that it's not a tool that should be used by the unskilled.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

It depends what dog you have, never ever use prong on nervous or agressive dogs. Prong should never be used for training, it's used for corrections of commands your dog knows well already. I used prong myself, a long time ago though, and found it a complete waste of time - the whole system of commands could be learned without even a leash. You may well ask, why people use them then? Because we have a trouble communicating with our dogs. While humans use speech, the dogs mainly use their body language. If you talk to your dog his language, you would use your body to command. Herding, for instance, is an art of dog training, where a man speaks to his dog using 99% of body language and 1% of sound signals. Dogs understand command by gesture much better and faster than words. Absolutely unaware that, we provide our dogs with wrong signals. It must be a terribly difficult task for the dog - to ignore that, what signals to him as a command one way, and try to undestand what we want from him by using voice command in the same time. If you use body language in order to train him to stop pulling with any length of your leash - with your dog pulling forward, stop yourself, click your tongue couple of times, and turn 180 degrees back, he will follow you. But, the dog always want to move, and he would be ahead of you in one minute of time. Repeat clicking and turning back until he gets, that, if he wants to move forward - he shouldn't pull. It will take you only half an hour to train, and number of times you would have to remind him will diminish with every day. To train "Heel" do it on a short leash, and just stop every time he pulls. Walk by the wall of some building on your left to make him stick to your leg. Hold his ball in your right hand placed at your heart, if you want him to look at you while he heels. If your dog decides to rush after a cat - start running backwards yourself, drop the leash, you woudn't have to call him even once, he will turn after you. One aspect I shouldn't miss here, that we don't live in environment, which allows us to train our dogs on every walk and everywhere. I'm talking about the danger of traffic. Before you train your dog to heel off leash, you can use a tool which wouldn't affect her nervous system as badly, as prong:
The Canny Collar 13.95 Colours Black, Red, Blue Collar. Enjoy Walking Your Dog again

Last edited by David Taggart; 02-10-2014 at 02:19 PM.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.