Opinions on using a prong collar? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well gee taggart thats kind of funny i use prongs in training all the time and found them fantastic. I wonder why that is?
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Before you train your dog to heel off leash, you can use a tool which wouldn't affect her nervous system as badly, as prong:
A prong does not work by 'affecting the nervous system' - not sure where that comes from. Try one on your arm, or around your leg. Some people have even tried it around their own necks! It does not pinch, you don't feel the individual prongs - despite the collar name. You feel an all around, even tightening effect. Most dogs, once they are used to the prong, come running when they hear you pick it up and stretch out their necks for you to put it on - they associate it with walks and fun times - not with pain or negatives.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The prong always gets bashed, but are the people who bash them thinking about the dogs? Like, actually caring about their welfare? Probably not. They probably aren't thinking about how much damage a flat collar can do to a trachea. Or about being housebound because the owner can't/won't walk them. I know, just tell them to train their dogs...
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The people who bash prongs and e collars are either parroting ignorant stuff they read somewhere and have no idea what theyre really talking about or have used them incorrectly and screwed up a dog and then went running to the internet to blame the tool instead of themselves. If youve found yourself bashing those tools maybe you should look deep inside.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
A prong does not work by 'affecting the nervous system' - not sure where that comes from. Try one on your arm, or around your leg. Some people have even tried it around their own necks! It does not pinch, you don't feel the individual prongs - despite the collar name. You feel an all around, even tightening effect. Most dogs, once they are used to the prong, come running when they hear you pick it up and stretch out their necks for you to put it on - they associate it with walks and fun times - not with pain or negatives.
I put one on my neck while yanking hard and the sensation, while not pleasant, was not so painful that I felt bad about using it. My reaction was not, "Oh lord make it stop!" But rather "Gee willickers! That sure got my attention!" It's a strange prickly sensation more than a painful one. Mind you, I never even have to use that level of correction on my dog. Gentle pressure is all that is necessary because she is fairly soft and understands how the collar works.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, we're just big meanies. I read on another forum - can't remember which breed it was - but someone was asking about the prong because it was recommended to them. Everyone was against it, and then the asker said the tip came from a GSD owner. They were pretty much in agreement that of course those "Shepherd folk" would use one....lmao...."Shepherd folk" oh boy.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Used correctly prongs are fantastic tools. Used incorrectly they can be abusive. Important thing to remember when using them is to be tactful. Proper use of one is really something best coached 1 on 1. You cant really learn by reading about it and to a certain extent most probably couldnt learn to use them well by watching someone in a video. It has to be felt.

Use of them also varies dog to dog and situation to situation. It can be a little tricky.
There actually was a video on You Tube, where it showed the proper use of a prong collar. It was used on a Pit Bull that had been returned several times because it would pull hard on leash!

The guy turned the dog around in 5 minutes and I couldn't see where he did anything abusive to the dog!!???

I was amazed I tried to find it again but I can't??

I was one of those guys that Baillif spoke of, read about it online (or maybe half read a book??) and though well any idiot can do that...being an idiot.I felt I was qualified! I was wrong!

Had I also read about getting instruction on the proper use of a prong collar by a qualified instructor...I would have done that also!

Today"my" take on tools is if "I' can't get the results "I" want using a regular collar and leash...then "I'm" doing something wrong!

Last edited by Chip18; 02-10-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
There actually was a video on You Tube, where it showed the proper use of a prong collar. It was used on a Pit Bull that had been returned several times because it would pull hard on leash!

The guy turned the dog around in 5 minutes and I couldn't see where he did anything abusive to the dog!!???

I was amazed I tried to find it again but I can't??

I was one of those guys that Baillif spoke of, read about it online (or maybe half read a book??) and though well any idiot can do that...being an idiot.I felt I was qualified! I was wrong!

Had I also read about getting instruction on the proper use of a prong collar by a qualified instructor...I would have done that also!

Today"my" take on tools is if "I' can't get the results "I" want using a regular collar and leash...then "I'm" doing something wrong!

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not the one I saw ,but I'll check it out. You can never know to much thanks!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.