German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Bummed after training today. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/404050-bummed-after-training-today.html)

KathrynApril 01-29-2014 10:58 PM

Bummed after training today.

Week 2 of puppy class & Dinozzo wasn't as barky as last week. However even with withholding dinner he had no interest in cherrios.
I was going to bring some string cheese just in case but figured since I withheld dinner he would have enough interest. He ignored me pretty much 90% of the time. I'm confident it would of gone 110% better if I had brought the cheese/hot dog as that is what I usually use when at parks and stuff.
I also was told no more flirt pole as he was too interested/reactive in everything else that was moving. :(
Overall a very disappointing day. Feel like I looked like a bad owner. :(
His only shining moment was during puppy play where he was gentle with all the puppies that were half his size. I guess I was expecting a little more from him since he is so good at home. :/
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DutchKarin 01-29-2014 11:02 PM

I would ignore cherrios too. Sorry but that is not really dog appropriate. Skip dinner and have some turkey dogs or cut up the Natural Balance rolls for treats. Cherrios would be incredibly boring to a dog. You need higher value rewards. Go easy on him too. Check your expectations and celebrate any little success. Like humans, he may be having an off day.
Best.

KathrynApril 01-29-2014 11:07 PM

Yah Dinozzo loves the turkey hot dogs. Oops I wonder if this should of been in stories instead of training. My bad & sorry to any admins who might have to move this thread.

onyx'girl 01-29-2014 11:21 PM

Some dogs are not into food so much.
Quote:

I also was told no more flirt pole as he was too interested/reactive in everything else that was moving.
Why is your trainer squashing his enthusiasm? I'd want my dog to show interest in an object if the food isn't getting it. Ball or tug on a string is a great training tool for young dogs.
Where I train the flirtpole is utilized often. Food is used for certain exercises and the prey rewards are used to engage.
Don't get discouraged, change up your training!

KathrynApril 01-30-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 4931250)
Some dogs are not into food so much. Why is your trainer squashing his enthusiasm? I'd want my dog to show interest in an object if the food isn't getting it. Ball or tug on a string is a great training tool for young dogs.
Where I train the flirtpole is utilized often. Food is used for certain exercises and the prey rewards are used to engage.
Don't get discouraged, change up your training!

He said something about I couldn't do it right since I was using the flirt pole by myself. Though quite honestly I might of misunderstood why he said not to use the flirt pole by myself. Also he indicated doing some obedience with the flirt pole like "sit"/"leave it" is not a good idea. I shouldn't mix obedience/play.

I had also been doing a little bit of toss with his ball & "tire". When he would bring back one toy I would say leave it. As soon as he dropped the toy I would throw the next one. They discourage playing fetch with the puppies too though "as then the dog learns it's fun to run away from their owners".

Not quite sure how to exercise him if I shouldn't play with the flirt pole, shouldn't play fetch & shouldn't do tugging (as he is teething). At least it is getting warm enough where we can go for walks again.

I really think it was just a matter of I should of brought the cheese/hot dogs and things would of gone so much more smoothly. Just beating myself up for not having brought it in the first place.

The trainers dogs are really great/well behaved. The trainers shows great interest in Dinozzo & they did try to give me some other food/treats that they had but it just didn't help. For much of the beginning last week he was very barky. They shook a jug filled with coins at him to break him out of it. Once they started letting us work with the dogs I was able to bring his attention to me with the string cheese. He was barky this week too, but it wasn't as bad as the week before and no jug was used this time. What I mean is he barked a lot this week too, but he settled on his own more quickly.

Lucy Dog 01-30-2014 12:09 AM

Everyone has bad days. It's not the end of the world. You learned a lesson this week and you'll probably improve on it next week.

When training a puppy, find out what motivates the puppy. If he doesn't like cheerios, then he's not going to want to work for them. Boil some chicken breast and cut it up into little pieces. Cook some london broil or some other lean steak and cut that into little pieces. Bring his favorite tug toy that he only gets during training. Get something that will get and keep his attention. Dry, boring cheerios just isn't it.

And why can't you play fetch with a dog that's teething? Who told you that? If the pup likes to fetch, by all means, let him fetch.

KathrynApril 01-30-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 4931458)
And why can't you play fetch with a dog that's teething? Who told you that? If the pup likes to fetch, by all means, let him fetch.

We were discouraged to play fetch because then apparently the pups learn it's fun to run away from their owner. I don't see how fetch is bad when he is even more excited to run back to me with the toy.

The tug/teething wasn't mentioned by the trainer, but I thought I recall multiple sources saying no tugging when they are teething. Or at least gentle tugging.

Baillif 01-30-2014 02:02 AM

Wow...just wow. And I thought the anti tug people were silly.

farnln 01-30-2014 05:04 AM

Why did they say not to mix obedience with play?

I am curious.
Quote:

He said something about I couldn't do it right since I was using the flirt pole by myself. Though quite honestly I might of misunderstood why he said not to use the flirt pole by myself. Also he indicated doing some obedience with the flirt pole like "sit"/"leave it" is not a good idea. I shouldn't mix obedience/play.

Carriesue 01-30-2014 05:22 AM

Wow kind of sounds like not such a great trainer! My dog LOVES his flirt pole and tug, some of our best obedience sessions have been with them. Also if I'm having a day where I can't really get him out for exercise nothing tires him out faster then a mix of chase and obedience with his flirt pole... we also play a lot of tug!

Also dogs are carnivores! My dog would have absolutely ZERO interest in Cheerios, get him some meat girl! I agree the natural balance rolls are awesome because you can make so many small treats with them... I also like using boiled chicken or the cloud star tricky trainer treats are ok too. Anyways that trainer doesn't really sound like he knows what he's talking about, sorry!