Board and Train Vent not general info moved - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Board and Train Vent not general info moved

So as most of you know, my hands are quite full with my girl Zelda. (in a good way mostly!)

Management is key for the most part with a lot of her things for now.. However, I do wish to improve some of her behavioral problems at a better rate than they are.

My sister said that her friend suggests i do a board and train. And my sister suggested it before and is again pushing the debate of how it would be good for her, because it will "rewire her brain."

I did think about, i researched it, i searched board/train people near me. And contacted two of them, their answers to my questions were less than perfect.. I simply do not feel comfortable with sending her off somewhere, even if i met the person before hand, for 2-4 weeks. How would i know she is being treated well? What training style are they actually going to use? I want to be the one to work with her through things and if i have to bring someone in to help ME (because i know im just incompetent when it comes to training) than that is what it shall be. If i'm going to spend $2000-$4000 on a board/train, i could be spending that money on a trainer to come to my house for weeks! "rewire her brain" sounds a bit sketchy and also it sounds like an easy fix. I dont think any of her behavioral problems are going to be an easy fix.

Now, i did think when i was researching board and train. How maybe it would help her get on the right start to being with someone who has been training dogs for years and knows what they are doing.. And i thought, maybe im being selfish and worrying too much about lettings someone "rewire her brain" for me under 2-4 weeks.

So my end results of this fusing, is that i do not plan on doing a board and train. Because i think the only part of me that wants to do that, is the part of me that wants an "easy fix." And my logical part knows there is none, i just need to work with her more and would be better with a trainer.

Anyways, I'm interested in what you guys think of board and train. I'm quite open to any opinion. If your for or against it or maybe have no opinion. Thanks.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would never board and train for behavioral issues. Half the training is for the PERSON, not the dog and it will NOTE "rewire" her brain. Her brain is what it is. There is no easy fix.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that you'd get so much more out of 1-on-1 training with Zelda. You're obviously very willing to learn, and work hard on your own training inexperience, so this is where a great trainer would be worth their weight in gold. "Rewire her brain" lol! What great leaps in science have I missed?!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Jax08. Find a great trainer and do private lessons until you are ready for more.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am so much more interested in learning myself how to get the best out of my dog, so a board and train situation would never be the choice for me. I love the journey of the experience just as much (if not more) than actually getting to the destination. Besides, you can never really reach the end of the road with training, there is always something new ahead.

Now, that being said, I have used my trainer to board Tanner before. Not specifically to train, but to have him stay with someone who knew where we were at with training while I was out of town. It was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What they said
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
"Rewire her brain" lol! What great leaps in science have I missed?!
Seriously.

I'm not a fan of board-and-train for a number of reasons that I'm sure I've posted about somewhere in the past. As far as my own personal dogs go, I can't fathom how a board-and-train program would ever help us, and I can very easily see where it would do a lot of damage.

As far as other people's dogs go, I think in almost all cases, people are better served learning how to read and communicate with their own dogs in an ongoing relationship. Nothing your dog is going to learn in two weeks of B&T is that difficult to teach, so why not just do it yourself?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like the idea of a quick fix and while I've thought of it myself I couldn't do it to my GSD. I have no doubt that a trainer/behaviourist could sort her much quicker than me but I firmly believe part of her problem stems from not trusting or having confidence in me and I think that's the same for a lot of reactive dogs. If the problem stems from lack of trust/confidence, no board and train will ever fix the problem without one on one with the dog AND the owner.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would never spend $2-$4 grand on board-and-train. Use that money to join a great club or even pay a trainer for private sessions. I have done some board and train for a friend and didn't make a fraction of that. In fact I probably didn't even break even for what I spent in food, puppy supplies, and vet care (I prefer to do young puppies). There are people who board and train but it's something you have to love to do, not be making thousands of dollars. I personally would never send my dog away but I have dogs *because* I love to train.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would never board my dog for training. I can't even board them for a night lol. Anyways, there is nothing a "board and train" facility can do that a trainer coming to your house cant. Just find yourself a trainer that you feel comfortable with, but like I said I would stay away from boarding
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.