German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Obedience w/o Conflict 4 DVD Set (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/402042-obedience-w-o-conflict-4-dvd-set.html)

dpc134 01-26-2014 11:08 AM

Obedience w/o Conflict 4 DVD Set

I was wondering if anybody here has used the Ivan Balabanov DVD set for training. If so, what are your thoughts on his training DVDs? I am thinking of purchasing to expand my training knowledge, but I was wondering what the results were from people that have tried it.

Thanks,
Obedience w/o Conflict 4 DVD Set/ Adv. Schutzhund (book)/ Retrieve Dowel Combo

Ivan Balabanov

Obedience w/o Conflict 4 DVD Set/ Adv. Schutzhund (book)/ Retrieve Dowel Combo in All Products

JustJim 01-26-2014 06:06 PM

After seeing Balabanov's Clear Commmunication video, and reading Advanced Schutzhund a few times, I've sorted out and begun selling or trading off most of my training videos (and eventually, some of my books, but I was going to do that anyhow). I plan to pick up Balabanov's series sometime this year.

There are a couple reasons for this. One big factor in this is that I have a great deal of difficulty following what is said in many of the other DVDs currently on the market. Compared to many other training videos, there is much less background noise and distractions on IB's vids; as a consequence, I'm able to actually hear and understand what he is saying. With some other videos, most of my time and effort is spent trying to figure out the words the instructor/presenter is saying, rather than understanding content and meaning.

Much of Balabanov's approach "fits" with my background in behaviorism and special education, and past experience in animal training. (Other trainers' and presenters' approaches might also "fit"--if I could figure out what they were saying!) This will make it easier to take what he presents and apply or adapt it to my own training purposes.

In contrast to many other DVDs and books,I was able to quickly adapt some of what I picked up in one viewing of Clear Communication, and from the book, to my own training needs. I expect the entire series to be similarly useful.

dpc134 01-27-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJim (Post 4909690)
After seeing Balabanov's Clear Commmunication video, and reading Advanced Schutzhund a few times, I've sorted out and begun selling or trading off most of my training videos (and eventually, some of my books, but I was going to do that anyhow). I plan to pick up Balabanov's series sometime this year.

There are a couple reasons for this. One big factor in this is that I have a great deal of difficulty following what is said in many of the other DVDs currently on the market. Compared to many other training videos, there is much less background noise and distractions on IB's vids; as a consequence, I'm able to actually hear and understand what he is saying. With some other videos, most of my time and effort is spent trying to figure out the words the instructor/presenter is saying, rather than understanding content and meaning.

Much of Balabanov's approach "fits" with my background in behaviorism and special education, and past experience in animal training. (Other trainers' and presenters' approaches might also "fit"--if I could figure out what they were saying!) This will make it easier to take what he presents and apply or adapt it to my own training purposes.

In contrast to many other DVDs and books,I was able to quickly adapt some of what I picked up in one viewing of Clear Communication, and from the book, to my own training needs. I expect the entire series to be similarly useful.

Thanks for the information. I can't seem to find many reviews on this product, so I am hoping that the cost is worth it.

Wrong 01-27-2014 07:45 PM

Ivan B.

Having trained with Ivan for a few years I can tell you Ivan does a great job, his communication with the dog is dependent on finding out what motivates the animal, he's patient and forgiving, just a wonderful trainer