Puppy Training Stress - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Training Stress

I am raising a puppy again for the first time in nearly 15 years. She is my first GSD, currently 13 weeks old & have had her since 7 wks.

I find that no matter how hard I try, I am constantly thinking about the next training issue or problem that will come up. I've been told I'm too concerned with turning her into the perfect dog & thats why I'm obsessing & I should juat let her be a puppy.

I just want her to grow into a good dog & am starting early.

Am I alone in the obsessing over future problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy Training Stress-image.jpg  
frostwolf7294 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

training and socializing takes care of future problems.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

The more you think about these "potential" problems, the more you will show it in your body language. The dog will pick up your stress. Be confident and have fun. If an issue pops up down the road, you can deal with it at that time. For now, enjoy your training with your pup. Have patience and most importantly, have fun!
dpc134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I let my puppies be puppies, there are no perfect dogs

I do teach/work on the basics when they are puppies, making things FUN.

Socializing is important, and creating a good bond.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I will at least validate that yes, others do obsess... or at least I did... sometimes still do. ;-)
I too had not had a puppy in a long time and too, first time with a head-strong and landshark puppy too. I believe in investing heavily in the first year in time and training, so yeah, I obsessed and still do if he is not with me and with my husband... like he will be today. ACK.

I agree that you have to be vigilant that you don't transfer anxiety or frustration to your pup. They will be puppies and should be carefree puppies. Throw in training and socialization as fun. So, like most of what you read on here... you have to train yourself more than you are actually training the dog. Do some yoga or mindfulness training and have the dog present. So they see you working to relax. Pup will love it if you are on the floor.

Good luck, don't judge yourself, and just get into training in the moment (little tiny moments) If you can't, make sure to get in a class with a trainer who can help you slow down and enjoy the moment.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Make sure to read the thread on "Rethinking Popular Early Socialization" Lots of good stuff... this from Carmspak, who I believe is a breeder of GSDs

early socialization is very well studied and documented in the classic Scott and Fuller Dog Behaviour the Genetic Basis.
Unfortunately the windows are not "pliable" . This was the result of 20 years of testing , built on Konrad Lorenz , Trummler , Tinberg's observation of critical times in socializing.
What Scott and Fuller demonstrated is that there does not need to be an overbearing amount of attention or stimulation -- more is not better, correct and sensitive to the individual is better . They worked with 5 breeds and did find that different breeds to respond differently.

this !
quote "It's interesting to note that a lot of dogs (herding breeds especially) seem to notice when we're trying too hard at socializing/trying to build a positive reinforcement. And MANY of them with anything less than stellar nerves, get weird about it. This, IME, can CAUSE fear and issues in them"
was a remark in the study !! good observation.
I think this is one way dogs , since we are talking GSD, can be damaged by that pressured aim to socialize. We have a lot of posters who are shocked when their very , almost too friendly puppy loved by all , becomes a problem , excused as a passing fear stage , when in reality insecure and potentially fear aggressive , or in avoidance.
The "pop" advice is grab that dog as soon as you get him and socialize , meet , (how many?) strangers in a set time.
Is there a disconnect . You have a breed which by nature should be stranger neutral . Puppies are attention magnets . People will come and "maul" the precious wecious pup - strangers are encouraged to feed the dog . So what happens . The pup is no longer a pup but a dog -- hardly the same reaction . Dog now reacts on his impact on the stranger who is taking a wide berth , backing up , acting like prey , stimulating another internal drive within the dog . Is this being honest with the dog.

young dogs are being flooded without any consideration to that pups mental age .
some young pups are over handled , over stimulated in the bio-sensor , without feeling .

Lack of early socializing can result in maladjusted dogs. On the other hand it is very important how you go about socializing and training or the same results will be the unintended consequence.
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
DutchKarin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.