German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   What is the best Reward / Treats? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/401274-what-best-reward-treats.html)

dpc134 01-24-2014 08:34 PM

What is the best Reward / Treats?

All,
I am looking for advice / suggestions on what food rewards/treats people are using to train +R with their dogs? I have seen the training treats that are sold at Petsmart, but are there any out there that are top of line that your dogs go crazy over and are healthy?
Thanks in advice for the help.

SuperG 01-24-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpc134 (Post 4899482)
All,
I am looking for advice / suggestions on what food rewards/treats people are using to train +R with their dogs? I have seen the training treats that are sold at Petsmart, but are there any out there that are top of line that your dogs go crazy over and are healthy?
Thanks in advice for the help.

I give 'em loving....best treat..not available at any store.

And in second place, I have heard dessicated liver is a hit....never used it...but heard it many a time.

SuperG

HarleyTheGSD 01-24-2014 08:44 PM

Every dog is different. Some dogs are driven by food, some by toys. Experiment with both. Find out what your dog likes.
Try playing with tug toys as well as a ball. Try giving your dog different kinds of food. It doesn't necessarily have to be bought at a pet store. My GSD loves peanut butter. But only give it in very small doses, otherwise, they'll be licking their chops for the next five minutes.
Use different kinds of meats. I have also used braunschweiger, which is liver. He loves it.
Another important factor; alternate rewards. Don't give the same thing every time, mix it up, it makes things interesting.

David Winners 01-24-2014 08:44 PM

I let the dog pick.

Some stuff I use:

Cut up hot dogs
Cheese cubes
Cubed cooked chicken
Natural Balance meat roll cubed
Zukes minis
Kibble
Peanut butter
Cream Cheese
Whatever left over meat is in the fridge

SuperG 01-24-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4899530)
I let the dog pick.

Some stuff I use:

Cut up hot dogs
Cheese cubes
Cubed cooked chicken
Zukes minis
Kibble
Peanut butter
Cream Cheese

Saw Peanut butter.....I used to smear peanut butter inside her hollowed out marrow bones.....just to make it last an extra minute or two. She sure likes her peanut butter.

SuperG

KatsMuse 01-24-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

I let the dog pick.

Some stuff I use:

Cut up hot dogs
Cheese cubes
Cubed cooked chicken
Zukes minis
Kibble
Peanut butter
Cream Cheese

Same here.

:) Kat

dpc134 01-24-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

I let the dog pick.

Some stuff I use:

Cut up hot dogs
Cheese cubes
Cubed cooked chicken
Zukes minis
Kibble
Peanut butter
Cream Cheese

Thanks David. I will start with these.

Mishka&Milo 01-24-2014 09:10 PM

I use good quality kibble, and her favorite toy ball. Sometimes I use her own kibble... She just likes that I am giving her a snack.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cassidy's Mom 01-24-2014 10:38 PM

As far as commercial treats go, I've been using mostly Real Meat dog food: Real Meat Pet Food

The 90% Meat Air Dried Foods come in perfect bite sized pieces, but can be broken up into smaller pieces with your fingers if you like. It doesn't need refrigeration, which makes it very convenient. It's not cheap, but a 2 pound bag lasts a long time. I also use string cheese.

Kaimeju 01-24-2014 10:44 PM

The commercial treats are too expensive for me most of the time, but I buy Natural Balance and Blue Stix in a pinch and cut them into pieces.

We have had good luck with cubes of beef liver, chicken hearts, cheese, brocolli, squash, pumpkin, sardines (frozen), and homemade biscuits on occasion.

Treats are great for teaching new behaviors, but you can move beyond treats to life rewards once the dog understands what you want. For example, I will use permission to sniff freely as a reward for heeling across the street on walks, and I will use coming into my bedroom as a reward for waiting quietly. I open the door as a reward for sitting while I put the leash on. I play a game of tag as a reward for a good downstay. I also throw a ball as a reward if we're off leash somewhere.