German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Help please. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/399546-help-please.html)

cjla 01-21-2014 11:29 AM

Help please.

Okay this isn't about GSD's but there isn't a place for Siberian huskies. My boyfriend recently got one from a good friend of ours and she is a little over 3 months. I was wondering if someone knows the breed and can help me. She's not potty trained yet but we've been working with her and she's doing better but not quite there yet. She's not really interested in coming to us when we call her. The only time she will listen is when we have a treat in our hands. She's more interested in going outside and playing with our other dogs. She's even more interested in our neighbors dog and getting out of our fence to go play with her. Can anybody help me

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chip18 01-21-2014 11:33 AM

Other dogs you have more than one, what are the sexes...not two females, I hope?

cjla 01-21-2014 11:37 AM

Yes we have two others and another one we are holding til her fence is put up. So in all three other dogs. The one we're holding is a female but she's fixed and the other two, one is a female 11 years old, fixed and the last is my male German shepherd mix and he's intact.

LoveEcho 01-21-2014 11:41 AM

Keep her tethered to you. Search for "two week shutdown" on this site- it's a great resource for introducing new dogs without overwhelming them and allowing them to learn how things work in the house.... and it will help with potty training.

cjla 01-21-2014 12:07 PM

Whenever my friend that we got her from first got her they lived here so she already knew all the dogs. They moved out and took her with. Then the guy got another job so he didn't have time for her so she came back here.

Gretchen 01-21-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjla (Post 4875394)
Okay this isn't about GSD's but there isn't a place for Siberian huskies. My boyfriend recently got one from a good friend of ours and she is a little over 3 months. I was wondering if someone knows the breed and can help me. She's not potty trained yet but we've been working with her and she's doing better but not quite there yet. She's not really interested in coming to us when we call her. The only time she will listen is when we have a treat in our hands. She's more interested in going outside and playing with our other dogs. She's even more interested in our neighbors dog and getting out of our fence to go play with her. Can anybody help me

Sounds like typical Husky behavior. They are opposite from GSDs. They are very independent and stubborn, would rather run away than recall, they are escape artists. So always keep her leashed when outside. As far a potty training, if you can take her out every two hours and 15 minutes after a meal. When she goes to the bathroom, praise her and give her a treat.

Mocha 01-21-2014 12:29 PM

Is this your first husky ? They're a breed that definitely needs to be researched before getting one. My first dog was a husky, and I've since converted to shepherds because of the trainability level. Huskies are natural runners, and unfortunately are also natural escape artists. Once a husky realizes that they can disobey you, you're going to have a **** of a time getting them to listen. They're not bad dogs, they're just VERY intelligent and very independent. We put over a $1000 into our fence to ensure ours didn't get out, yet he still found ways. Don't bother getting an electric fence, they're so fast that they don't feel it. I would look into the two week shutdown like mentioned from the other person. And keep her tethered to you. You want to make sure to train that when you say "come", she HAS to "come". Recall should be your biggest focus with a husky, because they LOVE to run, run, run! After all, that is what they are bred for. Unfortunately, huskies are one of those breeds that just LOVE to do things their way, and you MUST be a very strong owner to make your dog into an enjoyable companion. My advice is to get a trainer and train train train. She is still young so you have plenty of time.

Saphire 01-21-2014 12:34 PM

I used to own and sled Siberian Huskies. What you have is exactly what they are and should be.

Independent, stubborn, live to run so they will escape the average yard by jumping, climbing or digging. They LOVE to dig holes in the summer so expect your yard to resemble the moon. I would suggest purchasing a dog run as you can make it escape proof...unlike your yard.

Beautiful breed and I still love them but they are much more than a pretty face. You really should have done your homework before getting this dog. This breed was bred to pull a sled and hunt so they are a working breed dog that live to run. Very high energy and be prepared for lots of shedding come spring.

Teaching recall....very difficult and always unreliable at best. I did put cd titles on two of mine but always had several friends hanging out around the ring during off lead and recall. They were 50/50 at best and took 10+ trials before I managed 3 legs.

The shelters are full of huskies because people did not take into account how difficult they can be to contain.

Mocha 01-21-2014 12:35 PM

Keep her on a tie out for her own safety. If she gets out, you run the risk of her either never coming back or being hit by a car. I was also always nervous someone would keep mine because of their beauty. Invest in microchip- I've heard they have tracking ones now as well. While you're in the house, randomly call her to you thought out the day and treat her. Teach her coming is a good, rewarding thing. Never call her over to yell at her or crate her (unless she likes her crate). Play bond building games with her. Someone recommended to me that I keep toys put away and only take them out when I was ready to play, so that they learn you're the fun person and she should be excited to see you. (I never actually tried that one)

middleofnowhere 01-21-2014 12:38 PM

Not just huskies but typical northern breed behavior! My Samoyd loved "going" - and was very adept at keeping just out of reach. This was years ago but I do remember! Recall? What's that??? She'd come back when she got ready.