Help please. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
The shelters are full of huskies because people did not take into account how difficult they can be to contain.
This is sadly EXTREMELY true. People get them for their beauty without ANY prior research and then have a rude awakening when they realize the effort they take. Two friends of mine thought it would be a great idea to get two sibling puppies without any prior dog knowledge and against my warning and they were miserable. I ended up being their main care giver until the owners could get their crap together and fix their fence / exercise them everyday.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well I'm a dog with a bone here! So to clarify,I understand one dog is temporary? Who will be living with this doggie and what's that dogs gender?
Chip18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Too distracted?

The little one likely has DISTRACTION PROBLEMS.
If she is too new in your household, she hasn't yet learned that
YOU are her pack leader. Likely, the little one regards you as her lesser, or at most, her equal, (her LITTER MATE) so she pays no attention to you.

Use a firmer voice and make her EARN her treats. The "Watch ME"
command will help you. HOld up a treat that she wants, to your
eyes, and keep repeating WATCH ME, so that every time she hears this command, she will look in your eyes... then when you have her attention, give her a treat. You need a lot of repetition followed by a reward... to the point where your reward is no longer a TREAT, but loving words.

Huskies are very INDEPENDENT so you need patience and time to
get the little one to understand you.
rjstrotz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Huskies are a challenge for sure! They are amazing escape artist! Only use a plastic crate to crate train, they can and will figure there way out of a metal crate! Exercise your husky a lot. Invest in interactive toys, a bored husky is a destructive husky. The husky is highly intelligent like the shepherd but are stubborn and not focused on their owner. Huskies enjoy the company of other dogs much more than their master, don't take it personal. Never have a husky off leash if they get free never chase them! They will view this as a game and run harder and faster. Always have a treat on hand to lure them back with.
Positive training only with a husky, prong collars do not work. PATIENCE! They are a great breed but read read read and educate yourself. You will be glad you did. I have a nine month old husky as well as 2 shepherds. They are a fun loving dog but are completely different from the shepherd. Huskies will challenge you in ways you never thought a dog could. Good Luck
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well I'm a dog with a bone here! So to clarify,I understand one dog is temporary? Who will be living with this doggie and what's that dogs gender?
Yes one dog is temporary. Its my boyfriend's mother's dog. And its a fixed female. We have her because they are working on building a fence and she's a shelty so very high energy!!

cjla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you for all the responses!! As for research yes i should have, I'm a stay at home mom and its my boyfriends dog he's just working everyday so its up to me to train her. My boyfriend knows these dogs and has had them before. He used to live in Alaska. I'll be sure to research a lot on the breed!! She is very stubborn lol but I'm up to the task. I was going to take my shepherd mix running with me once i get him a collar but i think i will walk him and take her running with me. We aren't going to give her up so no worries on her being a shelter dog. It won't happen. Again i really appreciate all the advice!!

cjla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok so not a lifetime two female home,that's good! I'd read the info on that link and take away from it what you need. If she is a puppy you won't see issues for 18 to 26 months,most likely. If you do it right you won't see issues at all! Right now you have three and that is a pack!

http://leerburg.com/introducingdogs.htm
Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena'sMom View Post
Never have a husky off leash if they get free never chase them! They will view this as a game and run harder and faster. Always have a treat on hand to lure them back with.
Question here I don't have a Husky nor plans to get one. I have heard this samething about Greyhounds.

My thinking is that a properly trained dog comes when you call them? So what's the deal here? Just curious not doubting those with experience!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Siberian huskies being independent thus not really caring where you are or what you want. Not a breed that can be off lead or ever having a reliable recall....live and breath to run so that overpowers keeping them close. Breed characteristics tell you what they will be. You won't see a Siberian Husky in Schutzhund for a reason just like you won't see a German Shepherd dog team in the Iditorod.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Siberian huskies being independent thus not really caring where you are or what you want. Not a breed that can be off lead or ever having a reliable recall....live and breath to run so that overpowers keeping them close. Breed characteristics tell you what they will be. You won't see a Siberian Husky in Schutzhund for a reason just like you won't see a German Shepherd dog team in the Iditorod.
That's what I wanted to know! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.