Lead training gone wrong! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lead training gone wrong!

I've totally messed up our loose lead walking. In the past I've done it by stopping, waiting for the dog to come back to me and then when the dog is next to me, moving on with a command if heal. It worked well but this time I've accidentally taught Breagha (GSD) that when I stop, she comes to heal but as soon as I move she charges in front. It's definitely me doing it wrong because I did the same with my collie.If I have treats or her ball she will walk perfectly to heal but it's bit practical to always have them in my hands; I also walk two dogs so don't really have a spare hand.
I've tried clicker training but not had any success. I can now get her to sniff out my car keys, she's a brilliant recall, she will leave but walking to heal on a loose lead......I'm stumped!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

What I have found with this is you need to be consistent. If she charges forward as soon as you start walking then immediately stop and have her come back. Maybe even consider not letting her get to the end of the lead before correcting her, as soon as she charges stop her and bring her back until you can start walking without her charging. At the beginning it will likely take a lot of repetition but it will work if you are consistent and patient. I would consider linking a command to walking slowly/easing up on the tempo so she 's not pulling, like "easy" or "woah." Riley does this pretty well when I walk him, though I do still have to stop a few times and bring him back to me. But he's not my dog and he is an old, stubborn guy so I'm happy I have what I do with him. XD

Keep up the good work and don't give up!

AkariKuragi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I stop as soon as there's tension on the lead. She comes back to heal instantly without me saying anything and she looks at me as if to say 'didn't i do well' but as soon as I step forward, she charges or pulls. I've been doing it for months and all that's changed is she's got quicker at coming back to me.

Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If you want to seriously work on her leash training, you should walk your dogs separately. I would also not worry so much about "going for a walk" when you're training leash skills because you probably won't get very far. What I like to do rather than just stand there and wait for the dog to return to me is to walk backwards. As soon as the dog is at my side, we continue forward, but if s/he charges ahead, I either walk backwards again or turn around and walk in the opposite direction, as many times as necessary. I also heavily reinforce (reward with treats, praise enthusiastically), being in the position I want. All of that would be pretty much impossible if I were walking two dogs at once.

There are lots of threads about teaching loose leash walking here on the board, I'll see if I can find you some links later, when I have time to search.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I concur with Debbie. The stop and start thing never really worked for me, but when I see the dog not paying attention *I* turn a 180 and start walking the opposite direction. Now the dog is behind me (not pulling forward), gets a leash check when they reach the end of the line, and realizes I went the other way. Usually the look on their face is like, "oh, oops!....hi, mom!" I praise and reward for coming back and checking in.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I concur with Debbie. The stop and start thing never really worked for me, but when I see the dog not paying attention *I* turn a 180 and start walking the opposite direction. Now the dog is behind me (not pulling forward), gets a leash check when they reach the end of the line, and realizes I went the other way. Usually the look on their face is like, "oh, oops!....hi, mom!" I praise and reward for coming back and checking in.
This is what I do. Dog learns he/she has to pay attention to what mom's doing and they can't do that from in front of me.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.