German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Favorite Training Videos (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/394986-favorite-training-videos.html)

Jax08 01-12-2014 02:32 PM

Favorite Training Videos

So many out there! List yours, what level of training it is and why!

Sri 01-12-2014 04:43 PM

Definitely Micheal Ellis' Power of traiining with food, and Power of playing tug. This is Beginner or basic training. Its not obedience though, and does not show how to teach basic commands.
I like them because its all about engagement and building drive(and using it for further focus from your dog) in a very concrete way. I have read, watched and been to quite a few trainers but his philosophy of dog training is my favorite right now.

Lucy Dog 01-12-2014 04:47 PM

For the basic stuff or just being introduced to clicker training, I think that guy tab289 does a good job with his videos.

Kaimeju 01-12-2014 06:10 PM

Tyler Muto's videos were a big help in getting a handle on my dog. It's very similar to Michael Ellis' system but he has a strong emphasis on negative reinforcement combined with positive reinforcement. Very systematic, very clear, good for people like me who have never dealt with more dog than a bichon frise before. What is interesting to me about this trainer is that he has taken some of Grish Stewart's concepts in regards to BAT and taken them in his own direction.

Vagus 01-12-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimeju (Post 4822122)
Tyler Muto's videos were a big help in getting a handle on my dog. It's very similar to Michael Ellis' system but he has a strong emphasis on negative reinforcement combined with positive reinforcement. Very systematic, very clear, good for people like me who have never dealt with more dog than a bichon frise before. What is interesting to me about this trainer is that he has taken some of Grish Stewart's concepts in regards to BAT and taken them in his own direction.

He has a fantastic 3 part video series on the basics of teaching competition heeling!

I think Tab289 and kikopup on (YouTube) are excellent for newbies when it comes to teaching simple commands using positive reinforcement - they both use the mark+reward system. For anyone who's new to training it's a great place to start.

Merciel 01-12-2014 07:15 PM

For DVD sets, Hannah Branigan's Obedience FUNdamentals (competition obedience) and Julie Flanery's TAP series (freestyle/heelwork to music). Both very clear, helpful, engaging, and thoughtful about common errors -- the really big ones like overshadowing cues and the small but equally common ones like always rewarding out of the same hand (which over time will often pull a dog out of position with anticipation).

I watch a fair number of sport-related DVDs, but those are my two favorites for covering the fundamentals of good, clear training mechanics and then taking them into more advanced work. I like Michael Ellis too, but I think I'm less impressed with those on balance just because I came to them later, when most of the concepts were already familiar, so it was more review material than new stuff by the time I got to those. If I had come to them earlier, they probably would have had a bigger impact.

For canine communications and learning to read body language, Sarah Kalnajs's The Language of Dogs was a game-changer for me. Not strictly "training," I guess, but certainly extremely helpful in seeing whether the message I intended to send was the one being received.

For youtubes, I like kikopup and a couple of other people. I haven't kept up on what's new in youtube tutorials for a while, though.

Zahnburg 01-12-2014 07:20 PM

I always enjoy watching (on youtube) videos from Roger, Bert, Ronnie and Peter; I really enjoy the videos where they are all working together. These are not tutorials, just video of their training, but always interesting and educational to watch.