German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   52 weeks trick challenge! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/391706-52-weeks-trick-challenge.html)

GatorDog 01-05-2014 10:31 PM

52 weeks trick challenge!

I am part of another group where we are participating in a year long trick challenge. A new trick is assigned and we have 2 weeks to train the behaviors! I am trying to teach each trick using shaping methods. Figured I would put it out there and keep people updated if they wanted to try it out themselves :)

Challenge #1; Play dead!

This is highlights of Carma's first session. She was raised with shaping behaviors, so she offered quite a few hilarious behaviors before settling on this one.

Feel free to join in!

VTGirlT 01-05-2014 10:38 PM

Wow good job Carma! You guys are such a great pair! :)

It looks like a fun challenge!

Do you guys have a list of all the tricks you are doing for the 52 weeks? I think its a great idea!

GatorDog 01-05-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 4779418)
Wow good job Carma! You guys are such a great pair! :)

It looks like a fun challenge!

Do you guys have a list of all the tricks you are doing for the 52 weeks? I think its a great idea!

Thanks! It's not completed yet, but I can keep you guys updated. I know the next trick will be roll over, since it ties into the whole play dead thing. I'll keep you posted :)

Montu 01-06-2014 12:07 AM

Nice..in for updates

KayForbes 01-06-2014 08:24 AM

I want to participate! But Stella already knows this! :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Bequavious 01-06-2014 08:28 AM

Also in for updates :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Crocky 01-06-2014 08:40 AM

Awesome! Are you giving her a cue to prompt the motion? I could not hear or see anything other than you looking at her. I know you would not typically pair the word until later but just checking. I have use clicker training in the past but it has been many years and going to try and add it in to our routine with Silas so going to start brushing up on it again.
Carma is such a beautiful GSD!

stmcfred 01-06-2014 08:43 AM

Awesome. I'd love updates as well.

GatorDog 01-06-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crocky (Post 4780562)
Awesome! Are you giving her a cue to prompt the motion? I could not hear or see anything other than you looking at her. I know you would not typically pair the word until later but just checking. I have use clicker training in the past but it has been many years and going to try and add it in to our routine with Silas so going to start brushing up on it again.
Carma is such a beautiful GSD!

Thanks! By shaping the exercise, I am not saying or cueing for any behaviors. I am just waiting for her to offer little tiny pieces of the trick and clicking to mark those behaviors. Then I start asking for more and more behaviors each time. So it started just laying down, then leaning on one hip, then turning her hed to the side and then leaning onto her side. Eventually I'd like to get her on her back with legs in the air, lol.

Crocky 01-06-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 4780794)
Thanks! By shaping the exercise, I am not saying or cueing for any behaviors. I am just waiting for her to offer little tiny pieces of the trick and clicking to mark those behaviors. Then I start asking for more and more behaviors each time. So it started just laying down, then leaning on one hip, then turning her hed to the side and then leaning onto her side. Eventually I'd like to get her on her back with legs in the air, lol.

Gotcha! Thanks!