Can you really expect your dog a reliable recall when so many things are more interes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you really expect your dog a reliable recall when so many things are more interes

interesting....

But even through repetition, does your dog always have the option or does it get so engrained that he just does it without thinking....so many things are more exciting than treats....
gsdemack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

As long as I'm loud enough my 7 month old always recalls
Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes. And I rarely have any treats. They come when I call.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is that due to a certain fear factor ingrained into them that your the boss.....
Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've been able to call my dog off a deer, a skunk, and a a porcupine (on separate occasions, it wasn't a party :-p ). He comes because he'll know he'll be in trooooouble. Plus, I'm really fun and exciting when he comes away from something interesting.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL!!!

That totally cracks me up. My dogs afraid of me. When you train them positively, there is no reason that they need to be afraid to get compliance. This is one of the worst misconception of training.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
I've been able to call my dog off a deer, a skunk, and a a porcupine (on separate occasions, it wasn't a party :-p ). He comes because he'll know he'll be in trooooouble. Plus, I'm really fun and exciting when he comes away from something interesting.
What kind of trouble does he know he'll get into and how can you make yourself more interesting than those things? Mine has a high prey drive.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
What kind of trouble does he know he'll get into and how can you make yourself more interesting than those things? Mine has a high prey drive.
I was kidding on the trouble part. He comes because he gets good things when he does. I will never scold him when he comes back to me (if it takes him a while). If I call him in my "you had better listen to me RIGHT NOW voice" it's enough to cut through the prey-drive frenzy. He has a very high prey drive as well, so our obedience work regularly includes impulse control exercises and focus exercises.

I pretty much throw a party when he comes to me, if it's a stressful situation like that- lots of jumping around and "GOOD BOY GOOD BOY GOOD BOY!!!" and since I usually have a ball in my coat pocket, squeaking and playtime. He doesn't always get that, EVERY time he comes back (when he gets let outside and stuff), but it's like a jackpot reward system.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can recall Pongu off (almost) anything. I have recalled him out of dog fights and away from deer, bunnies, a groundhog, and miscellaneous other critters I couldn't see clearly.

I do not have the same degree of reliability with Crookytail. He gets better and then as soon as I start thinking we're done and I don't need to continually reinforce him in recall drills, his reliability starts slipping down again. Partly it's a breed difference (more independent Akita/pit mix vs. handler-oriented GSD mix), partly it's a personality difference (Pongu is super needy), and partly it's that my relationship with Pongu is much, much stronger than my relationship with Crookytail.

It isn't about fear, and it isn't really about treats, either. It's about relationship and practice. And, of course, about the dog.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope for it, I train for it, but to be honest I don't expect it because I think even the best trained dog can make a mistake, they are dogs. The training never stops.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.