German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Can you really expect your dog a reliable recall when so many things are more interes (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/385658-can-you-really-expect-your-dog-reliable-recall-when-so-many-things-more-interes.html)

gsdemack 12-23-2013 06:05 PM

Can you really expect your dog a reliable recall when so many things are more interes

interesting....

But even through repetition, does your dog always have the option or does it get so engrained that he just does it without thinking....so many things are more exciting than treats....

MrsFergione 12-23-2013 06:16 PM

As long as I'm loud enough my 7 month old always recalls

selzer 12-23-2013 06:16 PM

Yes. And I rarely have any treats. They come when I call.

gsdemack 12-23-2013 06:27 PM

Is that due to a certain fear factor ingrained into them that your the boss.....

LoveEcho 12-23-2013 06:36 PM

I've been able to call my dog off a deer, a skunk, and a a porcupine (on separate occasions, it wasn't a party :-p ). He comes because he'll know he'll be in trooooouble. Plus, I'm really fun and exciting when he comes away from something interesting.

selzer 12-23-2013 06:37 PM

LOL!!!

That totally cracks me up. My dogs afraid of me. When you train them positively, there is no reason that they need to be afraid to get compliance. This is one of the worst misconception of training.

gsdemack 12-23-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 4716226)
I've been able to call my dog off a deer, a skunk, and a a porcupine (on separate occasions, it wasn't a party :-p ). He comes because he'll know he'll be in trooooouble. Plus, I'm really fun and exciting when he comes away from something interesting.

What kind of trouble does he know he'll get into and how can you make yourself more interesting than those things? Mine has a high prey drive.

LoveEcho 12-23-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdemack (Post 4716242)
What kind of trouble does he know he'll get into and how can you make yourself more interesting than those things? Mine has a high prey drive.

I was kidding on the trouble part. He comes because he gets good things when he does. I will never scold him when he comes back to me (if it takes him a while). If I call him in my "you had better listen to me RIGHT NOW voice" it's enough to cut through the prey-drive frenzy. He has a very high prey drive as well, so our obedience work regularly includes impulse control exercises and focus exercises.

I pretty much throw a party when he comes to me, if it's a stressful situation like that- lots of jumping around and "GOOD BOY GOOD BOY GOOD BOY!!!" and since I usually have a ball in my coat pocket, squeaking and playtime. He doesn't always get that, EVERY time he comes back (when he gets let outside and stuff), but it's like a jackpot reward system.

Merciel 12-23-2013 06:53 PM

I can recall Pongu off (almost) anything. I have recalled him out of dog fights and away from deer, bunnies, a groundhog, and miscellaneous other critters I couldn't see clearly.

I do not have the same degree of reliability with Crookytail. He gets better and then as soon as I start thinking we're done and I don't need to continually reinforce him in recall drills, his reliability starts slipping down again. Partly it's a breed difference (more independent Akita/pit mix vs. handler-oriented GSD mix), partly it's a personality difference (Pongu is super needy), and partly it's that my relationship with Pongu is much, much stronger than my relationship with Crookytail.

It isn't about fear, and it isn't really about treats, either. It's about relationship and practice. And, of course, about the dog.

llombardo 12-23-2013 06:53 PM

I hope for it, I train for it, but to be honest I don't expect it because I think even the best trained dog can make a mistake, they are dogs. The training never stops.