Can you really expect your dog a reliable recall when so many things are more interes - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've recalled Hunter off rabbit, deer, geese, coyotes, racoons, recently a skunk... lots of different things both out and about and working at the Airport. I trust 100% in his recall, regardless of the distraction. He will come because I said so, and because he wants to. I'm proud of all the work I put in to make his recall excellent.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, I can expect my dog to come when I tell him to. 100% of the time. He doesn't get treats for coming either.

I trained my recall differently than with treats, and it's pretty well proofed. He listens always, and has been called off of chipmunks, squirrels, and other critters....and boy does he LOVE to critter.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

And also no he doesn't come to me cause he's scared. He comes because I have always taught him and showed him that good fun things come from him coming, whether its play time, or a huge praise party from me.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I've recalled Hunter off rabbit, deer, geese, coyotes, racoons, recently a skunk... lots of different things both out and about and working at the Airport. I trust 100% in his recall, regardless of the distraction. He will come because I said so, and because he wants to. I'm proud of all the work I put in to make his recall excellent.

This! Recall is an integral part of our training, even at four years old, and will continue to be.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl's recall is excellent too. She likes to come when called for the same reason Berlin will come to Katie.

I recalled her from two blocks away while she was chasing a smaller dog back to his home. I can recall her from squirrels and cats and she will come then too.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog has a very good recall. This is because we have a very good relationship built on mutual trust and respect. (And 2 & 1/2 years training). My point; it doesn't happen over night.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

My dog is definitely not afraid of me. And I do not use treats. I did when initially training the command but I usually only reward new commands that I am training. They are just smart.
MrsFergione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Common sense pretty much dictates that a dog who is fearful of their handler is not going to be very inclined to come to them when something interesting is going on.

Proofing recall (and the type of reward you use) I think depends a lot on your dog-- some dogs are the "I just want to please you" type, where a lot of praise and fun is a great reward. Some dogs are the "what's in it for me?" type, and most fall somewhere in between. My dog is very much a "what's in it for me?" type... praise is great, fine, but he also really needs the possibility of a reward that's more interesting than the critter.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Recall, like all lessons I have taught, were with positive reinforcement in the early stages.

To tweak the response to perfection, I used an ecollar. Note: very few corrections were needed.

I have a dog I can take anywhere off the lead who minds 99.9% of the time.

I didn't want to exaggerate my control thus the 99.9%, but I can't think of the last time he disobeyed

me on anything. If the ecollar is on him, he is at 100% compliance. He is just that smart.

He wears the ecollar less than 1% of the time, just when a refresher course is needed.

Dex wants to obey and please me 1st and foremost because we have a loving bond in place.

At the same time he knows there are consequences for non compliance.

Dex comes each and every time he is called, under conditions in public places off the lead

few other dogs will ever experience. The only exception to this is when another dog goes after him.

I know from the one dog fight he was in I couldn't call him out.
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

You shouldn't try to recall them out of a fight anyway. You don't want your dog dropping his guard and getting bit in the ass or worse. If a fight breaks out you gotta go stop it.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.