What type of correction to use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What type of correction to use?

Hi All,

What types of correction do you all use? I have a 6 y/o male gsd; he listens when he wants to. We have had him for almost a week. Usually a verbal command will work(if he is trying to jump up or snooping in the trash), however, sometimes his attention will be focused elsewhere. For example, he will try to mount my dog and if a verbal "get down" doesn't work, I pat his rump to get his attention and that will usually do it. I always try to follow up with a command he will follow and end on a happy note. Are there any other effective forms of correction?

Thanks!!

Amy
horsdancr2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would give it more than a week. If he's only selectively obeying commands, what he will need is more work understanding and proofing commands. A correction may be part of that, but since you just got him it may be more likely that he's not sure what you are asking and needs more training.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I would give it more than a week. If he's only selectively obeying commands, what he will need is more work understanding and proofing commands. A correction may be part of that, but since you just got him it may be more likely that he's not sure what you are asking and needs more training.
I agree with this. A correction should only be offered if a dog does not comply with a command that it KNOWS in the context you're asking for it. I'd make sure he knows what you expect with positive reinforcement before using corrections.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You want the dog knowing the command almost reflexively, having been reinforced on it a lot and in a bunch of different places before you want to even consider corrections for non compliance.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And by reinforcement I mean food or toy reward. Pay the dog.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

After only a week he may not be "speaking the same language" as you yet. It will take a little time for him to recognize commands even if he was trained before. With puppies we always train in several places so they recognize the command means the same thing no matter where they are. Also we switch off between my trainer and me giving the command so the pup knows what the word means even if it comes from a different person. I think you need time and consistency, along with rewards and possibly clicker training to help for your dog to immediately and consistently recognize the commands you are giving. Don't give up, it's still early in the game.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah you are way early in the game. You have to treat that dog like he doesn't know anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Alot of things are more easily taken care of by just avoiding the situation too. Like the garbage - get a good can with a lid and that's not a problem anymore. Leashing him so he can't mount your other dog would be something else to do. Good luck
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah the management helps. Picture him like a big 6 year old puppy. He has to learn your house rules.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Amy, sounds to me like you need him to respect the no command. The no command in the early stages should be delivered in the form of a verbal brick with body language to match. If this needs a correction to be reinforced,nothing works like an e-collar due to the ease along with the speed/timing of the delivery of said correction. What ever the bad behavior, if he doesn't stop after a stern no, give him a little zap or more if required. Using this method you are killing two birds with one stone so to say. Not only will he learn to stop the unwanted behavior instantly, he will understand no for anything has bad consequences if ignored. I know there will be chicken little's for this method, but the truth is if your dog is anything like my Big Bad Male Dex you will be amazed with the results and there will be very few corrections needed. No is one thing, training your dog is another. I think the late great dog man Lew Burke had it right when he said you need a loving bond established before the real training starts. Good Luck.

Deno
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.