E-collar to me is CLEARLY being used WRONG here! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We don't know if it was introduced properly off screen or in the weeks before the show was filmed. It would be my hope that it was as Cesar has repeatedly advocated proper introduction of a dog to items that you intend to use as tools. If steps are taken to prevent the dog from becoming collar wise the dog will never associate the collar being on/off with the corrections. If those steps are not being taken then he doesn't have any business using those tools.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

"My main point is how its scary to think of how many people who watched this are now going to slap collars on their dogs and do the same, and see a similar if not worse response from their dogs and think its okay, because they watched Cesar Millan do it.. (And i feel bad for the dog in the video!)"

Cesar Millan has thousands of fans, millions of people have watched him.. If this is the best he can show people how to train a dog to lower its prey drive for a cat.. Than that is just plain sad!! SOO Many things can go wrong in this situation. And most people probably won't be able to manage doing this approach correctly, i am sure i wouldn't be able to!

And on top of that, my dog has the SAME reaction to cats as this dog, and yes its very scary. And i am not going to do that approach, just because its easiest. Right now It's management until i can get my e-collar, and than I am going to work Zelda on the lowest stim possible, about a football field away from a cat. I actually am going to do Lou Castle method of training with e-collar, because i find his makes the most sense and its absolutely humane. He has a great website/forums. Ya sure, this will take longer.. But if it doesn't mean compromising our relationship or getting into more trouble later down the road than its worth it to me. I have tried many other things, and they have not worked.. Treats and click (positive reinforcement for ignoring cat), counter conditioning, redirecting, time outs, making the cat "mine", etc.

Further more, i will never trust Zelda in a room by herself with a cat- even after a big change in her cat prey drive.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ah that is certainly possible. My main hope is that if they buy a 150-200 dollar e collar they at least read the basic instruction manual before using it.

You have to expose those guys early as little puppies to that kind of thing if possible and then it just takes little corrections or is easily redirected onto something else. So much in training can be avoided with an ounce of prevention early on in the puppies development.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Unfortunately, there are $40 e-collars with decent reviews on amazon..
I actually know someone who put e-collar on her GSD, because it was going after their chickens and cats. And she gave it a warning and than did a high level stim, same with when her dog chased her tail. Her e-collar broke soon after, she got one of the cheap ones. She suggested this method to me, as it did work with her dog..
I am aiming for dogtra 1900, it seems to have good reviews and i like that it has a high number of different stim levels. I believe 127 levels? it is quite pricey though.. But should last a while!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
"My main point is how its scary to think of how many people who watched this are now going to slap collars on their dogs and do the same, and see a similar if not worse response from their dogs and think its okay, because they watched Cesar Millan do it.. (And i feel bad for the dog in the video!)"

Cesar Millan has thousands of fans, millions of people have watched him.. If this is the best he can show people how to train a dog to lower its prey drive for a cat.. Than that is just plain sad!! SOO Many things can go wrong in this situation. And most people probably won't be able to manage doing this approach correctly, i am sure i wouldn't be able to!
well it is a tv show and not a training video. there is a disclaimer before every show to not try this at home without consulting a professional or whatever it says. if you want to know how to properly use a ecollar then buy a training video. if you want drama then watch a tv show.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have an ecollar. My oldest dog has issues staying in the yard. Sometimes he does and other times he bolts around the neighborhood. Most of the time he has great recall, but when he's bolting around the neighborhood it's like his brain turns off.

Anyway, after trying every training technique and him almost getting hit by a car my husband got the ecollar. I was against it. We set it at a low level and tested it on us first. It beeps before "shocking". There is also a beep only button. We only had to use the "shock" twice. After that the beep is all he needs and when he hears the beep he runs into the house, no hesitation. However, he still tries to leave the yard and he only listens and comes back if he is wearing the ecollar and hears the beep.

IMO he basically learned he only needs to behave with that collar on.....but it keeps him in the yard.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah in that situation the warning beep ahead of the shock does not help you it hindered because it became a conditioned stimulus. One you can't reproduce without the collar on. If you took steps to prevent the dog from becoming receiver wise or collar wise and then paired the correction with a word all you would need to do is say that word.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that before criticizing something like this, you really need to experience the situation - to give you an appreciation for what you're dealing with. I once had a dog living with me who I'd taken in as a stray. She was a lovely border collie who got along well with my housecats. One day a neighbor's cat was in my yard when I let my dogs out. What a transformation - she made a beeline for the cat and killed it in seconds. It was a horrific and gruesome thing to watch. There was no getting through to her either, she was completely obsessed and in another world altogether. I've never used an e collar, so I can't comment on that. But I think I'd rather have tried that than major compulsion with this dog - really, there'd be no other alternative. Obviously I'm not going to say the dog went 'insane' when she saw the cat, it was her high prey drive. But for someone who didn't know any better, then yes, insanity would be a great explanation. You have to see this in real life, firsthand, to know what it's like. Crazy.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

this is what an ecollar can do! btw cats are bullies anyways. they remind me of an evil queen always sitting on her throne bullying the peasants.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

collars with the vibrate function is much much better than one with the beep function. the beep function is counter productive. the collar should be associated with a negative word like no. it shouldnt be associated with a beep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.