German Shepherds Forum banner

Best Breed For Demo Dog

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
In your opinion, what is the best breed for a demo dog if a trainer is going to use one? I am talking about if your training is geared more towards regular pet owners and not sports homes. I really don't think there is a 'best', but I have heard some say that they prefer a trainer who has a dog that isn't the typical working breed.

#5 ·
In our puppy class we use our GSD. In the classes I take the instructor has always used one of her own dogs (Flat Coat or Border Terrier).

#6 ·
Just seeing a well-trained, well-behaved dog impresses me!

First class I ever attended was a clicker class - it was fun and I learned a ton about luring, shaping, timing, and rewarding - but the instructor's demo dog was always crated - out the dog would come (minature poodle), and demonstrate some tricks, then back in the crate it would go.

My next class was a non-clicker, food-reward based class. Walking in the room full of crazy first-time-in-training-class dogs, and the instructor's dog was doing a long down in the middle of the room, ignoring everyone and everything. (it was an Akita mix).

Impressed the pants off me. Class was great too - completely helped get Keeta turn around and build a positive relationship between us.

#8 ·
the instructor's demo dog was always crated - out the dog would come (minature poodle), and demonstrate some tricks, then back in the crate it would go.
fwiw my preference over time has evolved to have the demo dog crated when not being actively employed.

It's less distraction for the students and their dogs (some of whom may be reactive or overly playful or otherwise easily distracted), and it's less distraction for the handler too. Even in my advanced competition classes, the demo dogs are in an X-pen or crated when not actively working.

As for what breed: I was going to say "it doesn't matter" but on reflection, that's not true. I do tend to expect my agility instructors to have one of the Seriously Serious agility breeds, and for my obedience instructors to trot out a Seriously Serious obedience breed.

It's been a while since I took a pet class, but I recall thinking more of the instructor if they had an obvious shelter mutt or a rescue pittie, because those dogs aren't always the easiest to work with, and if you can get one to do basic manners, then that's pretty good.

OTOH when I was taking pet classes, if the instructor had a doodle, that instantly dropped their credibility in my eyes. I just expect "dog people" to know better. And yes, I know that doodles can be adopted out of shelters or rescues too... but I also know exactly how rare those guys are. (I have an incoming foster that's a Wheaten/Yorkie mix, and she's getting serious adoption inquiries from Canada. And she's not even here yet, and she has a known [and disclosed] health issue! That's how rare those dogs are.)

#7 ·
No specific breed. A well trained dog is impressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.