Learning while in the "hind brain" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Learning while in the "hind brain"

This was mentioned in another thread, and I wanted to hear other people's views about it:

I googled "hind brain" and many words came up to describe this, but "reactive" was the most frequent. Now, I'm definitely not out to disprove anything, but I was wondering - I've been able to teach my puppy certain things by capturing the behavior, praising him for it, and then putting a name to it - he can pick these things up practically immediately. For example, handing me the frisbee. I'm certain he's in his "hind brain" while he's doing this, because he's super excited while he's playing. Is he learning more quickly because he's using the limbic side of his brain?

Overstimulated Hyper Dog
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Very interesting article. I got the impression that it is more on how to calm your dog and teach focus so that he will listen to you when he is excited around other dogs and people. I think that example you have given with the frisbee and your pup is different. Your pup loves to play frisbee and has a natural talent for it, so I think he is learning more quickly in that case because of his natural talent, not because he is excited.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I was told that Grim was using his 'hindbrain' when he first entered a room that was new to him... and there was a dog crated in the back of the room... and he wanted to go check out the room. When I was standing there talking to someone instead of letting him roam, he started to get vocal and kept pulling at the leash to try to go explore. At this point, he was said to be using his 'hind brain'. I'm no dog trainer or dog behaviorist, but what I saw was a puppy wanting to go check out this room and that dog in the crate, and was NOT taking no for an answer. (I didn't actually tell him 'no') During this 'episode' of him becoming determined to do what he wanted to do... he was not in any frame of mind to learn anything. He was excited, he wanted to go explore, etc. I also don't count that as being 'reactive' but rather 'puppy'. Not only 'puppy' but teenage butthead puppy to boot. I kind of look at it this way. If you took your five year old to Disneyland, then tried to get the kid to sit and do math...how well do you think that would work? Does that mean it's a bad kid? A kid with some sort of 'problem' to be solved? I think we need to take some of these 'labels' and throw them out the window before we make our dogs as neurotic as our kids!!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't understand why behaviorists need to make up words. This will just be yet another buzz-word.

I should add....I am not a fan of the 'teenage butthead' term either! For some reason, it makes me cringe whenever I read it.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-20-2013 at 10:21 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's what made me curious about the whole concept. Brenda Aloff and Kevin Behan have some interesting ideas about it, and maybe many more but I haven't spent too much time delving into it yet - but the frisbee example isn't the only one. He also learned "drop it" this way, and he's much more enthusiastic to comply when he's in this state. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.

ETA: exactly, Jag. This thread is a take-off of yours. I've read lots of other stuff about the "hind brain" where I think other people are just paying lip service to a theory that they don't really understand. Mooch had a good link in your thread that explained the roll over, but I didn't see how that could relate to what your trainer did to Grim.

Last edited by Blanketback; 02-20-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I don't understand why behaviorists need to make up words. This will just be yet another buzz-word.

I should add....I am not a fan of the 'teenage butthead' term either! For some reason, it makes me cringe whenever I read it.
I'm not either, Jane. Even less of a fan of dealing with it! I can't remember my other shepherds doing this, but it doesn't mean they didn't. He just... changed. For whatever reason, whatever term anyone wants to use. Where he was once happy to comply, now I get the finger now and then.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Default Learning while in the "hind brain"

Interesting, that is not what I thought hind mind meant. Sometimes Fiona acts like she is think with her behind. I have told her, I thought you were smart. LOL. I found teenage butthead appropriate for Fiona on some occasions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.