HELP with focus/recall etc - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

We make Gunner sit or down and " focus " on us before he can eat, go outside, entering or existing the house, and getting in the car. Soon I don't even have to say the word and he looks at me. Now when we are out in public, it takes a while but we had a big break through at petsmart the other day. In public, there are a lot of times where I have to tap on Gunner's head to remind him that he needs to look at me.

It takes time, just make sure you reward every time your dog looks at you. Slowly start to push the limit of how long your dog needs to look at you. You can always use tasty treats like hot dogs, turkey or ham. I use Zuke's Minis (chicken flavor. Be care, they smell pretty strong.)
Jaders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
How did YOU go about getting your dog to 100% focus on you, on command?

I use WATCH ME, but he only glances at me for a few seconds, I cannot get his full attention. What are some methods you guys used to get rock solid focus from your dog? I train with a clicker and treats/praise at the moment.

Also, how in the WORLD do you acquire a fullproof recall? One in which if you call your dog, he INSTANTLY stops what he's doing and comes right to you? Berlin's recall is okay...but I wouldn't trust him off leash, or to come to me with distractions around.

I had class with him last night, and was frustrated because he did everything except focus on me and the commands. I think he was tired (from playing in the snow before) and just didn't want to be there...but I really want him to focus on me better.

Any tips/ideas/opinions are very much appreciated.

(I hope I survive this adolescent phase he is going through! )

I just so happen to be struggling with this very thing right now, as a matter of fact!! I adopted my dog when he was already 4 1/2 years old, so his most crucial "imprinting" years did not involve any sort of attention on human whatsoever. So we're having to start over from the very beginning as if he were a puppy again. It's soooo tough getting his attention for longer than like 3 seconds, but I'm going to take it nice and slow, and see if we can work our way up to longer periods of attention, and then maybe even looking at me while foosing. We'll see about the foosing part though.... I'm excited to read everyone's suggestions on how to achieve better focus!
vickip9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Lmfao, I still cant get over the fact that i'm spitting food at my dog! BUT, it works like a charm. Did it a few time with his yogurt drop treats, and now he is staring at my face waiting for the next one to come.... The drops are the perfect size too, he found them right away. Thank you again for this (strange but VERY effective) method!
That's wonderful!!! (And fun for us too!! )
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig

How old is your pup?

How many other distractions are there?
If the dog isn't paying attention to you - my bet is that there are too many other things going on. The standard answer to a training issue is the one word answer of: SIMPLIFY. In this case, I would change the environment to one with fewer distractions.
TxFig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

If you are starting to work on focus one way to try and do is have the dog sit in front of you facing you. Then grab a treat in each and and then stand like a capital T with each hand outstretched with a treat in it and closed. Be patient the dog will first look at the treat hand but if no reward is forthcoming he will eventually look you in the eye and that is when you say a yes! and then deliver a treat and start again to deliver from the other hand. Do this several times before even introducing the word you want for focus will make it go a little quicker. Then introduce the word when he is looking at you and go from there to build and have fun doing it.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
How old is your pup?

How many other distractions are there?
If the dog isn't paying attention to you - my bet is that there are too many other things going on. The standard answer to a training issue is the one word answer of: SIMPLIFY. In this case, I would change the environment to one with fewer distractions.
He is 7 months old. And depending where we are, there may be many distractions, or none. But i have simplified it, and he is focusing much better. When he can consistently do that, I will start to add distractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
If you are starting to work on focus one way to try and do is have the dog sit in front of you facing you. Then grab a treat in each and and then stand like a capital T with each hand outstretched with a treat in it and closed. Be patient the dog will first look at the treat hand but if no reward is forthcoming he will eventually look you in the eye and that is when you say a yes! and then deliver a treat and start again to deliver from the other hand. Do this several times before even introducing the word you want for focus will make it go a little quicker. Then introduce the word when he is looking at you and go from there to build and have fun doing it.
Tried this, and it works well. Thanks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.