how did you train your dogs survey - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default how did you train your dogs survey

Do you train your dogs by yourself or with a professional trainer?
Yes I did both

What method do you use to train your dog?
I prefer Positive Reinforcement along with showing the dogs I'm the alpha. I don't like the shock collar as much people don't use it to correct children's behaviours. Although my parents don't know much and I was sad when they used a shock collar on my Labradoodle which they got that from a trainer. Tried to convince my parents no shock collars, but no use. Unfortunately, we thought that was the only way we can save him from eating small balls, etc. The shock collar has saved his life several times actually but i use it on low. He had an under going surgery for 5 hours straight with a small ball stuck in his stomach at 1. However, mostly we just kept with Positive Reinforcement still.
For Lobo my sable GSD (which isn't mine, but i do consider him as mine he's a friend's their adults we met at dog park when they had their last GSD and I raised Lobo since 8 weeks pup with only Positive Reinforcement.)
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm an obedience trainer. I train my own dogs. An E-collar is simply a training tool. As with all training tools, it can be abused. Used properly, there's no problems. An e-collar can be very helpful for training off leash behaviors and reinforcing them without causing the dog to have a negative association when used correctly. Going off the logic of not using an e-collar on kids but using them on dogs; we dont use crates for kids but we use them for housetraining a puppy/adult dog and for keeping them out of trouble/harms way when we're unable to directly supervise them as well as when we need a break from crazy mouthy puppies. Its all a training tool and used properly, the dog developes a positive association with them.

I use a prong collar for my female. It's a training tool. She's got no negative associations with it. When there's a negative association with something, thats where you'll have problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI, RATN, ETD 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Default how did you train your dogs survey

I train myself, have been in classes and now also train with a club.

I don't follow any certain school of training but use a mixture of the different methods, clicker, treat, praise, corrections, negative and positive reinforcement. They have all worked well in there own ways. Gaia's very tug motivated so I use that to my advantage when training.

She's almost 11 months old, has been on a prong since 7-8 months but its no longer needed when walking and will be eventually phasing it out during training.

I'm not opposed to any method or tool as long as they are used properly and not as a band aid but as a tool.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SG1, BH 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Ive trained by myself and with a trainer. we are in basic puppy classes now and moving on to some more later on. I use all positive reinforcement

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I went through several puppy, obedience, rally, agility, nosework, tracking, and herding classes with my dog. Basically, he's been in some sort of class his whole life, but my husband and I train him.

I am a huge believer in positive reinforcement, treat training, and clicker training. I believe just about everything can be taught this way-even though some problems may take longer to fix with only positive training, I prefer to keep everything positive and they only corrections I use is an "eh-eh" sound.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

3 dogs...
Training club with pet obedience for the females. Boring Very little engagement and too structured.
Agility class with one(Onyx) after we went thru a CU and CGC class. Everyone in the agility class was intimidated by my dog, and the instructor tended to keep us in the jump chutes more often than letting us do runs on the course. The CU class was great, excellent instructor and a good experience.
Passed CGS even though the evaluator was intimidated by my dog. Really shouldn't have passed.
After those classes with a training club, I decided not to stay with that style of training.

We did pass the CGC again the same month in my SchH clubs eval, but the dynamics were different and my dog was more at ease in that environment/along with the evaluator showing confidence.

Third dog, we train in IPO regularly and I also train with a private instructor weekly. I'm not adverse to using any 'tool' and more often than not my dog is on a fursaver during training. But he's also trained on prong, harness or e-collar depending on what we are working on.
As far as the "I'm Alpha" theory...I am a partner with my dog, we are a team and the trust should go both ways. Mutual respect. He looks to me for direction and I look to him for response. I want a confident dog that will be balanced in biddability and individual sense.
I've put compulsion on my dogs when necessary, and it does build on the relationship we have. I want to be fair always.
Step back if we have to, I don't rush to meet the goal.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've attended classes (puppy, basic ob, advanced ob, agility and nose work) with two of my dogs but I train them.

Used a prong and treats with Raven. Now on a harness.

Flat collar and motivation (food & ball) with Kaiser. Minimal corrections. Prong only when in high prey drive.

Harness and lots of counter conditioning and motivation (food, toys and play) with Holly. NO corrections. Holly is a rehab and received inappropriate corrections as a puppy which were very detrimental to her.

Love Raven to death but working with Kaiser and Holly is much more fun because they think for themselves and offer behaviors. Both are highly motivated by play and toys. Raven does not offer behaviors because she was corrected for doing things wrong, she won't even try. When you can get her to think, she lights up but she has a hard time switching from waiting to be told to trying behaviors.

I prefer positive reinforcement... which does not equal treats. Big fan of working for meals and using natural motivators such as play, toys, smelling certain things as rewards. Functional rewards. Don't use a lot of physical corrections. I've worked with some very tough dogs and rarely need to use more than a voice correction. I don't subscribe to "alpha" theories. I have a very relationship focused view on training. There has to be mutual understanding and respect in order to have a good relationship which does not involve bullying to prove you are "dominant".

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

Last edited by gsdraven; 01-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have always trained my dogs myself though I have worked with other trainers.

What methods I use depend on the dog, what we are currently working on and the level of training. Right now I am working 2 dogs that are quite different and the training reflects that.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I trained Piper myself..Took her to a few training classes but the guy was an idiot and was basically retraining us the way he wanted not what we already knew and how I had taught Piper, so I left and did all the rest by myself..

Zeus ~ 10/18/2011
Piper'sgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I trained Diesel by myself and used positive reinforcement, and I always made sure I was seen as the pack leader. She never had a problem with my training techniques, and I have helped trained my neighbors dog the same way and he is coming along great, and my puppy, Penny, that I have now is 11 weeks and is coming along very nicely, learning fast and catches on to my training quickly so I would say Im doing the right stuff

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
mandiah89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.