Get more GSDs to walk and sit for my business - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Get more GSDs to walk and sit for my business

Hello

I'm 17 years old have my own dog walking and dog sitting business and I want to work with more German shepherds. Right now I dog care 3 so far, but I want the number to grow. German shepherds are my favorite dogs too have never ending efforts to be with them and exercise them. So any advice or ideas how I can make it grow? I was thinking about making a document or something print it out than stable it to the bullentin board at a couple dog parks.
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are there training clubs in your area? I would solicit from them instead or as well as the dog parks. Call your local vet's too. Many times clients ask vets for references for sitter/walkers. Wish you luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

@onyx'girl

I live in the Bay Area so I bet there is somewhere. Unforunately, my parents aren't very comfortable with me putting posts on bullentin boards . Thanks for your help I will give your advice some shots!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Given your age I would be prepared to answer questions about liability. You cannot sign a legal contract and what happens if a dog you are walking bites or otherwise does damage?

I might hire a neighbors youth who knew my dog to come over and feed them but I would not even let them walk my dogs and my dogs are not aggressive or anything. Something to consider.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

@jocoyn every week I walk a couple German shepherds. 1 named Lobo and Dante not at the same time though. I walk Dante every Saturday at 11am and Lobo walk him 1 time a week sometimes more just by myself. I knew the owners for some years Lobo's owner longer since she had her last GSD for a couple years before she got Lobo. I walked Lobo since he was about 5 months. I haven't had any aggressive stuff happen so far. I show them that I'm alpha they recognize that. If someday a dog I'm walking happens to bite a another dog I will pay a bill and take responsiblity for it. Lots of people are impressed by my handling skills, knowledge etc with dogs. Lots of them told me, "I'm more capable, etc than most teens and some adults." I have lots of great references too. I walked other dogs besides GSDs.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Had a dog walking and sitting business since 12 years old and been going to dog park regularly since 13 with my Labradoodle with combinations of hikes of just us. I walked all sorts of breeds Pit bulls, huskies, malamutes, Border collies, GSDs, Labs, mixes, little breeds, a Borzoi, Golden retrievers, and more. Besides that I'm a volunteer at the SPCA intermiediate.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Actually I never once had a bad moment of walking or dog sitting dogs where a dog bites another dog while I am in control for all these years .
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not in any way challenging your capabilities or experience. Just stating it may be something that comes up as you try to grow your business. I don't hire anyone to cut my grass or work on my house who does not have insurance because I know if they get hurt working for ME, my homeowners insurance will not cover their injuries or the damage they may do. It would be the same for a dog sitter or walker.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-28-2013 at 09:28 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I am not in any way challenging your capabilities or experience. Just stating it may be something that comes up as you try to grow your business. I don't hire anyone to cut my grass or work on my house who does not have insurance because I know if they get hurt working for ME, my homeowners insurance will not cover their injuries or the damage they may do. It would be the same for a dog sitter or walker.
Jocoyn is correct. And I don't want to poo poo what you are trying to do. The dogs you know might be splendid in their behavior and you would likely know their trigger points given your history with them. But what about a dog that seems great, but one that you don't know? What if he was beat by a garbage can when he was a pup and you walk him by someone's house as they are taking the garbage out? If the dog attacks, you will be held responsible. You need to consider insurance, limits of your program, and risk/reward. At a minimum, have your clients sign a "hold harmless" agreement.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would hope anyone hiring a dog walker would use discretion and ask for experience/reference. The walker/sitter needs to establish a relationship with the dog and owner prior to 1on1 and if that isn't done, then it is a liability waiting to happen.
Many teens want to walk or pet sit dogs for extra $, I see nothing wrong with it as long as everyone is clear on the dogs temperament and the walkers handling ability. I use to do it when I was younger, but times weren't the sue happy days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.