When does positive reinforcement become permissiveness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default When does positive reinforcement become permissiveness?

I saw this question posed on a dog training site as a topic covered in a seminar they are offering. I thought it was a good question. I certainly feel like a vending machine a lot of the time. At what point is giving treats detrimental to training, if ever? And do corrections have a place even to those who follow positive reinforcement?
I am very confused by all the different training methods. That may be a reason that Stella isn't progressing like I feel she should be. I am too back and forth with my methods???
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are rewarding for behavior that isn't wanted or asked for, then yes, it is detrimental. If you are teaching sit and rewarding every time the dog sits, well after they understand what is required, it is detrimental. The idea to rewarding is to teach the behavior and then you should be weaning the treats by expanding on the original. Heal? Two steps - treats. 4 steps - treat. Not every step.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
I saw this question posed on a dog training site as a topic covered in a seminar they are offering. I thought it was a good question. I certainly feel like a vending machine a lot of the time. At what point is giving treats detrimental to training, if ever? And do corrections have a place even to those who follow positive reinforcement?
I am very confused by all the different training methods. That may be a reason that Stella isn't progressing like I feel she should be. I am too back and forth with my methods???
When using treats as a reward, there is a time when the treats dwindle down to none. After a dog learns something, then treats are given whenever you feel like giving them. My dogs were all trained with treats/positive and now they rarely get treats, unless I want to give it to them. I rarely correct my dogs, but I will redirect them. For example if the GSD is chasing the cats, I don't say no..I will use leave it or call her to me and praise her for coming.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

So what do you do in this scenario?

Stella KNOWS sit. No doubt about it. I say sit. She does not sit.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
When using treats as a reward, there is a time when the treats dwindle down to none. After a dog learns something, then treats are given whenever you feel like giving them. My dogs were all trained with treats/positive and now they rarely get treats, unless I want to give it to them. I rarely correct my dogs, but I will redirect them. For example if the GSD is chasing the cats, I don't say no..I will use leave it or call her to me and praise her for coming.
The question for POS training then might become - what do you do if the dog doesn't stop chasing the cat? I.E. the self reward for that behavior is greater than whatever reward that the owner can give the dog (at that moment).

How does the dog learn that he/she is not allowed (by the owner) to make his own mind up about some of his behavior? How will the dog learn what is incorrect/bad behavior if the owner doesn't tell/indicate what is "bad" or unallowed behavior?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Once you are sure that she "knows" SIT, maybe from the fact tha she will do it when undistracted; then you train in an environment with small distractions.

And at least to me, you MAKE her sit with a correction (at a level appropriate to your dog to insure that sheknows what she is doing is wrong - i.e. to get her attention). Could be nothing more than a mild verbal one (i.e. AAAHHH!) up to a hard one wih a prong collar, or such.

I think that we owe it to a dog to let them know when they are misbehaving (BUT only after we are sure that they understand the command and sometimes this is tough to do).
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

How old is Stella? Does she really know sit or do you think she knows sit? Do you have a problem getting her to sit in certain situations or all the time? How did you train her to sit, what method?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Stella is 19 months. She absolutely KNOWS sit. She does it with distractions or not. Sometimes she is spot on and sometimes she just takes her sweet time. She learned using positive training. Lots of treats and praise when she was young. BUT she doesn't always sit right away. And sometimes she just takes her sweet time to get her butt down. Or she will turn around in another direction before sitting. Or she will grumble before she complies.
If she is focusing on me when I say sit and she doesn't, sometimes just a raised eyebrow will do it. Or I clear my throat and she does me a favor and sits. I am thinking she should sit when I say sit....
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I"m making the assumption that this is happening when you are training and not just every day life? She should just sit. Are you rewarding her when she's slow? Or decides that turning around first is the best way to sit? If so, then yes you are being permissive.

Sit means Sit, not mosey around the table first. At that point, I stop treating. I'll give her another chance. Sit and if she responds quickly she'll get a reward (usually a toy). If not, game over. Do you have her in a higher drive when training? That often helps to increase their response time. Is the treat high value enough?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Stella is 19 months. She absolutely KNOWS sit. She does it with distractions or not. Sometimes she is spot on and sometimes she just takes her sweet time. She learned using positive training. Lots of treats and praise when she was young. BUT she doesn't always sit right away. And sometimes she just takes her sweet time to get her butt down. Or she will turn around in another direction before sitting. Or she will grumble before she complies.
If she is focusing on me when I say sit and she doesn't, sometimes just a raised eyebrow will do it. Or I clear my throat and she does me a favor and sits. I am thinking she should sit when I say sit....
I don't think that this is a big issue. Mine sometimes tries cheating when I tell her to sit...she doesn't put her butt all the way down I think that you should keep moving forward and be consistent. I have also seen some dogs do this that were having a problem with the surface...concrete floors, carpet..all of these things feel different to the dogs and maybe make them feel uncomfortable. I seen dogs in class that wouldn't sit on concrete, but when a mat was put down, they sat immediately. Just a thought

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.