Do I have to use german for commands? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There is no longer a "bite" command in schH. I still use it and take the points. I want my dog to know when I want it to bite. Steh (shtay) is a stand not stay command.

I was told when it changed from schH to IPO that you had to use German or your native laguage. I have not looked onto that myself so again not 100%.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I speak English to my dogs. Different words mean different things and I haven't found it to be an issue. Dogs are also situational so if I were to use "come" in every day life to mean just come along with me or come into the house it would not change their response to "come" when I am standing down field in the formal trial situation. Dogs also "hear" tone and my formal recall, for example, sounds much different than my informal ones. I only use "heel" in the formal situation.

Formal commands:
Heel, come, sit, down, stay (stand), jump, bring, go-out, find-it (tracking). In protection I do change one word and use "hier" in my blind search so revier, hier, hier/heel, go (escape and long bite), out, transport (or heel depending on the dog).

Informal:
Go lie down or lie down
sit is sit LOL
come-here
here
walk nice
stand (which I also use in conformation)
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

It is up to you what language you want to train your dog in. I had Norwegian commands for a few of our past dogs. The trick is teaching them what the vocal cue means. With Kaylee I use English because it is easier for everyone to speak. This way the dog does not get confused too.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is from the regulations I have, and they are dated as effctive from January 1, 2012.

"Commands that are embodied in the trial rules are spoken in a normal, short and in a one word manner.
They may be done in any language, however must remain the same for an exercise.(valid for all phases).
The commands provided in the rules are suggestions. The same word is to be used for the same exercise."

So, it looks like you can use whatever language you want.

I teach my dogs "formal" and "informal" commands, also.
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
2 my german commands require 100% compliance

I don't mean to side-track the discussion, but this one line got me really confused.

Does this mean your english commands allow wiggle room????

I'm getting my first GSD in a couple of weeks, but raised & trained Labs (competitively) for the last 25+ years. I kind of joke when I say that "training my labs taught me how to train my kids" - but the truth is, there is alot of accuracy in the statement.

With both, they could tell when I was giving a "command" vs just "normal conversation." And with both, a command required 100% compliance.
Total side note: watching parents "count" makes me want to smack the upside the head...

I guess where I'm going with this is: why would you give a "command" that didn't require 100% compliance? In any language?

I'm not meaning to start an argument, but as I said, I was in the competitive Lab world for a fairly long time. The concept of "informal commands" simply does not exist in that world....

Last edited by TxFig; 02-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
TxFig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
There is no longer a "bite" command in schH. I still use it and take the points. I want my dog to know when I want it to bite. Steh (shtay) is a stand not stay command.

I was told when it changed from schH to IPO that you had to use German or your native laguage. I have not looked onto that myself so again not 100%.
You can use any language so long as its the same language with the dog. You can speak a different language to the helper & judge.

You should not use the bite command, those are some easy points to not lose, plus its not like what you said after the helper ran had any bearing what so ever on the dog going for the bite... they knew what exercise was next just as well as you did.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hunter is Great, and the rest,

How about Spanish...Look, I know it is almost a standard second language in America, but almost NO ONE knows it in Australia.. If I teach my pup in spanish, no one else will be able to command him.

For me, it is almost a second language, went to school as a kid in a Spanish Speaking country,, so it would be EZ

What do you think of that? Any downside to his general commands in Spanish?

Thank you from Oz,
Out doing "Dances with wolves" on the Last Frontier..
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone Ranger View Post
What do you think of that? Any downside to his general commands in Spanish?

Out doing "Dances with wolves" on the Last Frontier..
The only downside I can think of is that it's not quite as cool as using Klingon.
TxFig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
For schutzhund, you can use any language as long as you are consistent, ie always use the same language.
I use german for schutzhund for 3 reasons.
1 German commands are always happy usage and require an immediate response. Versus English commands I use when I want the dog to do something they may not want to do, like get out of the kitchen, or no begging.
2 my german commands require 100% compliance
3 german commands travel better over long distance. For example, platz at 50 yards, carries better than down.

A lot of the german commands are very like the English counterparts, sit - sitz, stay - shtey, Aus - out, hup - hup, here - heir and so on, so I don't think the language will prevent the dog from recognizing commands from strangers (Plus you will probably teach commands in both languages)

If you bond with your dog the chances are that the dog will only listen to you. That’s the way my girl is, she only listens to me and will completely ignore others, including family members.

Stay is not shtey. Stand is steh. Stay is bleib.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A man at our dog park uses Norwegian for his commands. I guess german is becoming too popular and they are looking for new languages to train in.
I agree you could use any language as long as its consistent.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.