Potty training older rescue, sigh - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty training older rescue, sigh

I know I went through this with all my other dogs but I had forgotten so much about potty training. Guess it's like childbirth and time lets those memories fade.

Zoey is 15 months old, a rescue. and I don't know anything about her history. She has learned the words "potty" and "potty more" very well (only had her a month) and will go when we our outside. So as long as we "catch" her at the right time, keep her on a schedule, we're good. And I was thinking she was doing a pretty good job of letting us know when she wanted to go out - she goes and stands by the door and gives us a look back over her shoulder. The house is pretty open and we've set up mirrors so we can keep an eye on her.

But twice this week she has gone to the same area in my office (back door to yard is in my office) and peed in about the same 2 square feet. We clean up with Nature's Miracle but still. My husband thinks that there might be some old smells we didn't get up from our last dog.

Our last dog learned to ring the bells to go out but so far Zoey isn't interested in that though we are working on "touch".

I think if we could get this spot really clean, she's ready to have house privileges for short periods of time but I'm at a loss of what else to do. Hubby (what a sweetie for always doing the cleanup) spent a long time going over the entire area that she seems to favor again tonight. Tomorrow I'll block her from that area and see if it helps.

Does anyone know if professional carpet cleaners can go deep down with the enzyme stuff to get it out?

Thanks.
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12
Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

http://adoginmylife.com
susanwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I swear by this stuff:

ELMINATOR bioenzymatic odor digester
by Health Technology Professional Products (800) 424-7536

I found it at an animal wellness expo in California years ago, and it works better than anything I've ever tried. It's pricy, but I order it by the gallon to keep around, and then pour it into a spray bottle. I've never seen it in a store, though -- it works far better for me than Nature's Miracle.

I also have a Bissel Little Green Machine for doing heat cleaning and extraction. If you rent a Rug Doctor, they have an enzyme cleaner you can buy to use with it too.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Magwart, thank you! I will order some right now. I'm less concerned about the price than I am about setting Zoey up for success. Hubby just bought some kind of a spot cleaning machine...I'm not sure what it is...but I will point him to this (since he is dear one who cleans up all the messes for us.)
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12
Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

http://adoginmylife.com
susanwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.