Fetch question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fetch question

Recently my 8month old female has decided not to bring the item thrown all the way back to me when we play fetch. She will drop it a few metres from me and then come and lay in front of me. Is this a "I'm not sharing my toy" kinda thing, or is it her trying to see if she can get it over me.
I don't reward or praise when she doesn't bring it back correctly. Only when she drops it at my feet do I praise her.
I'm always mixing it up when we play, I always use different toys for fetch and tug-a-war.

Any tips to correct that would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Fetch question

Not sure if this is an official correction, but I'll share what worked for me.

My 18 month used to drop her fetched item about 20 feet in front of me. Then I made the connection that she wanted me to throw the next ball ASAP.

What I did was anticipate the spot where she might typically drop it and then I'd turn my back. I've proofed this to myself numerous times, and each time I turned my back, the ball ended up at my feet.

Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

The turn around worked for me too....only Stella will grab the ball again and run off with it...I know she wants to be chased. Too old and tired for that! Now my other dog, a newfie mix loves fetch. Unfortunately he is almost 10 yrs old with bad knees and after a couple of throws he needs to rest. When I throw the ball he will run after it, Stella will generally run after him with her jolly ball in the mouth. Recently, she has started to get the ball but again, wants me or my other dog to chase her. He sometimes obliges for a few minutes, but he too is old and tired! Anyhow, how do I interest Stella in fetch, not keep away?
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had just asked my trainer about this because mine does this too. She said at first have the dog on leash and throw a littie treat out not futher than leash, say fetch and call dog back by saying come and give another treat small treats of course next change to ball, still using leash and treat for bringing it back to you and then a longer leash and then just normal fetch. We are now working thourgh these steps
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Fetch question

Might give the turning around a go, and same with the on leash work. Thanks everyone

Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.