German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Is Your Dog Dramatic During Corrections? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/205649-your-dog-dramatic-during-corrections.html)

Gharrissc 01-18-2013 05:58 PM

Is Your Dog Dramatic During Corrections?

Does anyone else have a GSD up here that is vocal during corrections,no matter how light the correction is? I've noticed that most of the Shepherds we've had here are VERY VOCAL if they get corrected,even vocally. On the other hand,the Standard Poodles we kept could take the same level of correction without all the dramatics.

How 'well' does your dog take a correction either with a collar or vocally.Obviously I'm not talking about being harsh here.

Shade 01-18-2013 06:09 PM

No, Delgado's not a drama queen. He'll yip if startled by the correction but bounces back quickly

wyoung2153 01-18-2013 06:12 PM

Titan is pretty good with correction, though he puts on those sad puppy eyes that make me melt, but I have to stand my ground! Haha.. actually when I tell him to do something he REALLY doesn't want to do, I will know because when he does it, he will let out this huge groan/grumble while doing it. It's quite comical actually. :D

Sunflowers 01-18-2013 06:36 PM

Hans is stoic to the point of appearing not to care.
He does, however, understand why he is being corrected and listens most of the time. He maintains his composure well, and as he gets older he's getting even more calm and collected.
I have heard that other Czech line GSDs are similar.
Oh, and he is very quiet. I find myself wishing he were more vocal!

m1953 01-18-2013 06:50 PM

Yes Nala answers me back. I try not to laugh but I can't help it

Freestep 01-18-2013 11:06 PM

GSDs can be a bit "handler sensitive" :) and yes, some of them can be quite vocal and histrionic. It's amazing how they can be so stoic about some things, and such big babies about others.

Packen 01-18-2013 11:14 PM

Gnash totally ignores a correction or tries to eat the person giving the correction depending on the level! So yes, there can be high drama :)

shepherdmom 01-18-2013 11:20 PM

Duh, Shepherds are the drama queens of the dog world. :D They are very stoic about pain or when they are sick but give them a harsh glare and they will act like you are killing them. :rolleyes:

TrickyShepherd 01-18-2013 11:45 PM

Oh yeah... ALL of mine are big babies. Doesn't matter how light or hard the correction is. They all yelp and then give me the "Omg, I can't believe you did that!" "I was just kidding! I totally wasn't going to be bad".... Naughty dogs. :rolleyes:

PupperLove 01-18-2013 11:51 PM

Jackson is vocal to the point where I'm sure the neighbors think he is being tortured, LOL! For instance today, I needed him out of the living room, and told him to stay in the kitchen. He insisted on following me to the livingroom and when I turned and said "get!" out came a whine.... :major eyeroll: !!He is vocal when he is excited, or chasing something such as a remote control toy, on a walk, and when he's in trouble. So pretty much all the time. :D

I forgot to add, when he is getting in my face too much looking for attention, and I VERY GENTLY nudge him away he whines about it...