German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Sit Means Sit - collar enforced training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/203282-sit-means-sit-collar-enforced-training.html)

GSDmac 01-14-2013 03:55 PM

Sit Means Sit - collar enforced training

I would like to know if anyone has used or what they've heard about this training program. Contemplating on using them and have heard mixed reviews among different dog owners of various breeds, but haven't found a GSD owner that I could get feedback from

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 01-14-2013 04:04 PM

A have seen a GSD trained using this program. I felt it was too robotic and I am not opposed to ecollars the way Lou Castle trains.

RowdyDogs 01-14-2013 04:16 PM

I've known two people who used them (one with a GSD mix, the other with an Aussie) and both dogs were fried by that training program. Specifically, they were often "corrected" with the E-collar for legitimate mistakes--the dog didn't know what was being asked, and the owner was instructed to shock them anyway. I believe there is a place for E-collars in training, but there is absolutely no reason to use them to "reinforce" basic training as was done with these two dogs.

I have also heard significant complaints about their business model, which is (from what I've heard) geared towards making money, not turning out competent dog trainers. It is a franchise system and I've heard it likened to the "Mary Kay" of dog training. Nothing wrong with making money, but what it means for you is that you might go to a Sit Means Sit-certified trainer who is great, but you go down the street to another one and they're an abusive idiot who shouldn't even be allowed in the same room as a dog, and just kept that under wraps enough at the training school to pass. It's the same problem you get with other franchises (like Petsmart and Petco), but with the added risk of easily-misused E-collars being used as a staple of the training.

It might also help if you told a bit about what your training goals are. Are you looking for basic obedience, performance, etc.? That might also color the advice you get, as one of the major objections I (and many others) have to them is the use of E-collars so early in the training...which wouldn't apply if you're looking at Schutzhund training or something like that.

Jd414 01-14-2013 04:31 PM

I looked at this training as well so any feed back anyone has would be appreciated. I was looking at what they call the board and train where they take your dog for a week (or longer, up to you) and train with the e collar. Once that us done the dog returns home abs you keep the e collar...

GsdLoverr729 01-14-2013 04:36 PM

My boss did the board and train with one of his golden retrievers. She returned a completely different dog, in a bad way. She is now DA through fences and on leash, freaks out when given a bath or when her feet are touched ( she loved this before, now she panics, yelps, snaps, etc). She also barks at anything that makes noise, which she did not do before.
Granted she's a golden, but i would not recommend them after seeing the results she's had.

Gharrissc 01-14-2013 04:50 PM

I've seen a demo and wasn't too impressed.

onyx'girl 01-14-2013 04:56 PM

I used the sit means sit methods in my ecollar training.
My instructor was familiar with the exercises and used them with success for her own and other clients dogs.
When it came time for me to start w/ ecollar, we used the same techniques.
We did not rush anything and it took a few months from beginning to end(proofing stage) for my dog to be trained on ecollar. But we used it for certain things, not behavioral modification, but directionals/send outs/recalls, etc. So it was just incorporated into my training program.

GSDmac 01-14-2013 05:59 PM

Thanks for the input. Just looking to improve off leash

GSDmac 01-14-2013 06:00 PM

Behavior. Mainly in excited states when he tends to only listen with a change of tone. Nothing dramatic just improvements. Just weighing the risk/rewards of this program

onyx'girl 01-14-2013 06:04 PM

I would go with Lou's instruction, if given the choice.