About E Collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default About E Collars

So my GSD barks at our horses at around 4am, her yard is right beside one of our paddocks. Oddly enough she is wonderful with the horses throughout the day, comes out horse riding with me. I think it is a bit of a game she has going on with our foal.
So I was wondering if it is possible to use an E collar?
If I were to go outside, it would mean waking everyone up, and having to turn the alarm off in the house, which by that time everyone would be awake and my dog will have stopped barking.
Would it be possible to put an E collar on her at night so I can somehow deter her from the barking.
I can't move the horses from the paddock they are in. So I really just need to address the barking itself. As I said she only does it early morning. She is good the rest of the time with all of our horses.
Would an e collar be useful for us, any suggestions would be great, or previous experiences!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Why don't you try an anti bark collar at night instead? They only "activate" when the dog barks.
K9Pro - Search Results for "bark collar"

Also are you sure it's the horses and not a fox? We have a fox that goes through our paddocks every night around 12o clock - sets the dogs off every time.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

E collar can work for excessive/unwanted barking.

I don't know if you want a self activated barking collar though - because that'd be getting rid of all barking and you may want your dog to still alert bark.

Couple things to consider:

1. Ecollar has a range. I'm told realistically you can't expect the full range the ecollar offers due to obstructions between you and the dog. If your dog is too far from your bedroom where you want to use it, it will not work.

2. You should be able to see your dog when you use it so you can see the reaction and adjust as needed.

2. For your purpose, your dog will have to wear the collar over night. Not sure if that is ok or how long that would be. It's on the dog tight and some dogs I hear can develop sores from the touch points if left on too long. Is your dog long or short hair?

If she is close enough to hear you, can you train a "quiet" command? Or can you throw something out the window to get her attention, or that'd require you to turn off the alarm?

When my dog gets into a barking frenzy and I want silence, the ecollar works.

Last edited by Bear L; 01-14-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you sure she's barking at your horses and not some other creature that passes thru at that time? I have my horses at home and I know that the deer have a routine/time they go by their pen every day.... She may be alerting you to something else...?
Kissyperry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Perhaps try crating her in your home at night when everyone is in bed.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissyperry View Post
Are you sure she's barking at your horses and not some other creature that passes thru at that time? I have my horses at home and I know that the deer have a routine/time they go by their pen every day.... She may be alerting you to something else...?
That was my thought as well. Is there any way for you to set up some surveillance one night (either by watching out a window, or with inexpensive game cameras, something like that) to be sure she's just barking for fun? Since she sounds like an outdoor dog I'm guessing you want her to guard, so in your shoes I'd be sure I knew she wasn't barking at something in particular before I figured out how I wanted to handle it.

FWIW, when I first got my GSD I didn't let him in my home (he was a stray and I wasn't going to keep him, and didn't want him to upset the dynamics in the house...I write a year later as I'm literally resting my laptop on him because he's passed out in my lap ), and he would bark almost every morning between 2-3 AM. I finally discovered why when I stayed up a couple of nights--we had a family of coyotes denning nearby, and they'd come around the property around that time most nights, either sniffing around my goats and chickens or just passing by on their way home from a night of hunting. I decided I didn't care to deter that behavior, even though it woke me up! I also had no indication that the coyotes were around before I got him--my coop and goat pens were very secure and I'd never noticed any sign they'd left amidst all the other dog prints and such. I would have said he was barking at nothing if you'd asked me earlier.

I don't have any specific advice about how to train this out as I don't generally keep outside dogs, but I do have major reservations about an E-collar for this circumstance for two reasons. First is, as others have said, the remote may not work through walls. Even if you test it, if the dog moves around the yard, you might have inconsistent results. Even collars designed for long ranges might be affected by the building materials and electronics in your home.

The other concern I have is that you're presumably asleep when the dog begins barking, which will make it difficult to time your correction appropriately. If you're in a particularly deep sleep and she barks 15 times before you manage to wake up fully and hit the button, then the next night you just got up for a glass of water and so you correct her on the first or second bark, I don't think it's really fair to the dog.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

She is definetly barking at the horses, we have a miniature and a foal. They stomp at her, and put their noses over the fence. I don't know if anyone knows about miniatures, but they are quite renowned for being very very cheeky.

I'm a really light sleeper, so she wakes me on the first bark.
I do want her to bark and alert when people are here, I just want her to understand barking at horses is not okay. So I need to teach her to differentiate between the two.
I have thought about crating, but she has never had it before, and being 8months old won't it be difficult to settle her into that, she isn't our only dog outside, and the others just sleep on the verandah and don't stir. So would it be unfair to crate one and not the others. I live with some relatives, and they are very anti dog inside (much to my disgust, I want a hairy pillow) and they have 4cats inside.
So this is why I am at a loss, I am starting obedience classes with her very soon, she is very responsive to all the training we have done so far, sit, drop, stay, wait before eating, heel, fetch, leave it. I want to further her education.
I'm worried about crating that she will chew the crate up??

Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I can see her doing it from outside my window, she is barely 10metres away from me. But I can't turn the alarm off or open the window, see I live with my relatives, they have a disabled son who's bedroom is next to mine. They are weird about having the alarm on, and it's really loud and makes noises when it is activated and deactivated via the keypad.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think it is unfair to crate only one dog. I only crate my GSD, and I have never had a problem with it. My other 3 aren't crate-trained mostly just because I didn't know about it when I was training them and now am too lazy to bother with it, but they're routinely loose while Hector is crated without a problem. However, I'm not sure how I'd feel about crating a dog outside. That seems to leave them rather defenseless.

I am familiar with minis and with foals and I still wouldn't assume that she's barking at the horses, particularly if she's barking at the same time every morning. Even if they're stomping and snorting when she's barking, it doesn't necessarily mean that she is reacting to them--it could be the other way around, or they could both be reacting to some external stimulus that you can't see. As I said, I never would have guessed I had coyotes lurking around except I happened to sit up late one night and see them, and I could see my pastures and most of my spread from my window. It's just hard to see intruders on the edge of the property at night unless your property is extremely well-lit--and even then a lot of animals are smart enough to stay on the edges of the light (coyotes and foxes being the big ones in the US, but I'm sure you have similar issues in Australia).

It's possible that she's barking at the horses, definitely. But if you're wanting her to be a guard dog (even just to warn you someone/something is coming), then you need to be 100% sure that's what she's barking at. Does she bark at them at other times, day or night? Or is it just at 4 AM that it's a problem?
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

She only barks at them during the day when they gallop up and down the fence line, if there is a storm or somebody gets a fright. But because I am home most of the time, I am able to correct it. Plus I'm usually working on the property, so she comes everywhere with me.
It's daylight savings over here at the moment, so at 4am you can actually see outside relatively easily, and when I look, She is jumping up at the horses through the fence, the mini puts his nose under the gate and touches her when she isn't looking. Honestly it's like watching really naughty children tease each other.
So yeah I can't crate train her outside, that does seem a tad unfair :/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.