List of Training Commands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
You

Default List of Training Commands

I was just curious what words other people were using for various commands?

During a basic obedience course it was brought to our attention using words like 'no' and 'okay' are not good because they are common words in everyday conversations. To prevent this does anyone use another language?

The only down side I can think about using a different language is making sure everyone knows the correct commands.

So what words are people relating to which commands?
You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use mixtures of Japanese, Chinese and different Native American words. I also use a lot of hand signals, because i don't always feel it appropriate to say the command aloud.

When i do use common words ( no, protect, speak), Koda only responds to certain tones.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I use mixtures of Japanese, Chinese and different Native American words. I also use a lot of hand signals, because i don't always feel it appropriate to say the command aloud.

When i do use common words ( no, protect, speak), Koda only responds to certain tones.
Do you know of any websites with hand signal examples?
You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use pretty standard commands, including lots of common English words. My dogs only respond to them when said in a certain tone and/or paired with the dog's name, though. I've never had a problem with confusing my dogs when the words come up in conversation. Even phrases like "go to bed"...if I say, "Hector, go to bed," in a firm tone, he'll go to his bed. If I tell my boyfriend, "I'm falling asleep on the couch so I guess I'll go to bed," he doesn't even flick an ear at me.

The only time I have seen using common words be a problem is when people use them as marker words, and it's because the person tends to overuse them, not because the dog doesn't know the difference between a "Yes!" as a marker and a "Yes, dear," sighed over the phone.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree that using the word "NO" is a generalized word for a negative behavior and should be used very sparingly. I replace the word with an absolute message or a word designed to stop, redirect or direct the dogs to a certian response. For example: touching an item that the dog should never touch is "Leave it". Approaching or taking something (object, toy or food) without your permission is "Wait". If a dog jumps on guests you can command a "Down" or "Platz". The only time I use the NO word is when he does the command but not exactly to my satisfaction. At which point the timing has to be exact. Some commands need to be Pro-Active. For example: before going outdoors, I give the command "Sit" (at the door) then "Wait" and after I step out "OK". The bottom line is to help the dog to learn certain words that have a specific meaning or task. Once you are certain the dog understands the word, it is fair for you to expect a positive response from your command. How you go about reinforcing the behavior is another subject.

Rick
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually I agree with not using "no," or using it sparingly. I don't use it at all in my training, for two reasons: one, it is a word that is often overused by the handler; and two, it's a word which is more frequently used with stronger emotion in day-to-day life which can confuse the dog. Instead, I use "quit" for my "knock off whatever the heck you're doing" command. That's about the only word I can think of that I don't use because of its day-to-day usage.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Do you know of any websites with hand signal examples?
No, but i will see if my boyfriend will record my next training session with Koda and post it for you. I don't use standard signals, just whatever pops in my mind that doesn't confuse the dog. I can also try to find a site for you to look at after work (:
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

We use hand signals for my puppy for five of his commands (well one is a trick). And they are awesome when you want the dog to do something and youre on the phone, talking with someone ftf and dont want to be rude, want to be quiet, or whatever.
We use an arm up to our head level and close the fist for sit.
We point to the ground for lay down.
We put up our open hand perpendicular to the floor, with fingers together for wait/stay
We put an open hand, parallel to the floor, fingers together, raising it up for sit up.
And for play dead we point our fingers at him like were shooting him.
Not sure if these are standard hand signals, but they work for us.
I would love to know what hand signals could be used for things like jump, crawl, back up, etc...
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I was just curious what words other people were using for various commands?

During a basic obedience course it was brought to our attention using words like 'no' and 'okay' are not good because they are common words in everyday conversations. To prevent this does anyone use another language?

The only down side I can think about using a different language is making sure everyone knows the correct commands.

So what words are people relating to which commands?
I train in German but you can train in ANY language you are comfortable with.
Consistency is key though, no matter what language you choose.

For example:
the commands of "Down" and " Off".....

If you want the dog to lay down, I'd use the command "Down".

If you want to have the dog get off of you ( jumping on people or other things), I'd use the command "Off".

If you say " down" when you mean "off", the dog will be confused....stick with one command for whatever you want and have everyone else do the same.

JMO. Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 01-08-2013 at 07:10 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I use pretty standard commands, including lots of common English words. My dogs only respond to them when said in a certain tone and/or paired with the dog's name, though. I've never had a problem with confusing my dogs when the words come up in conversation. Even phrases like "go to bed"...if I say, "Hector, go to bed," in a firm tone, he'll go to his bed. If I tell my boyfriend, "I'm falling asleep on the couch so I guess I'll go to bed," he doesn't even flick an ear at me.
My dogs are the same way, they don't seem to have any trouble understanding context, and knowing when what I'm saying is relevant to them. "Okay" is not the best release word, and I know that, but I've been using it for over 25 years, and even if I could retrain myself, I know I couldn't retrain my husband, so I continue using it.

Funny thing, I was working with a trainer once, a few years ago, who was ADAMANT that I change my release word. I told her I understood and appreciated her concerns, but I was going to stick with the commands I and my dogs were used to. We were working on down stays at the park with Keefer, and while he was in his stay she and I were chatting. During that conversation she said "okay" at least twice, and I said it three or four times. Keefer was right there, but did not break his down. I wasn't even thinking about it at first, but I realized it after we'd been talking for a few minutes, and I pointed out to her that Keefer obviously heard us, but knew that the word in our casual conversation was not directed at him, and he did not respond to it. She acknowledged that I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsMuse View Post
Consistency is key though, no matter what language you choose.

For example:
the commands of "Down" and " Off".....

If you want the dog to lay down, I'd use the command "Down".

If you want to have the dog get off of you ( jumping on people or other things), I'd use the command "Off".

If you say " down" when you mean "off", the dog will be confused....stick with one command for whatever you want and have everyone else do the same.

JMO. Kat
That's exactly how I use those two commands. I hear people use "down" for getting off stuff (or people), and then "lay down" for a down, and even "sit down" for a sit. How confused those poor dogs must be! Each command should only mean one very specific thing. However, you can have more than one command for similar things with slightly different criteria, such as a formal and an informal command. "Come!" always means run to me immediately and sit in front, but "c'mere" means come towards me at no particular speed and in no particular position. I rarely use the "heel" command, I use "let's go" for my loose leash walk command, and I have defined criteria for a LLW. I use "c'mon" as an informal walk with me cue - again in no particular position. Because I'm consistent, my dogs are not confused.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.