Crate Troubles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate Troubles

Hello! I just want to start by saying that I fully believe in crate training for my dogs from day one. For their safety and my sanity. My Sarge is now 8 months (tomorrow) and 80+ lbs and just started breaking out of his metal crate. He isn't in there often as I am a stay at home mom, maybe 2-3 hrs 3x a week and at night. The only reason he goes in there at night is because my hubby gets home late from work and I don't need him barking in the middle of the night. I know he loves it since he goes in there on his own from time to time to get away from the kids and other dogs, but for the past 2 weeks he has broken out of it 4x when I am not home, never at night. He has popped the whole front off, so my hubby zip tied it shut, then he chewed the zip ties off (luckily didn't eat them as I found them scattered through the crate.) He is obviously smart, but just does not want in there. What could cause this to happen all of a sudden?? After him being in it from the start at 8 weeks, to just shy of 8 months hating it?!?!?! And I know it isn't because of the other dogs, because Ruby is in her crate next to him when I am gone and Buck is in another room. I am afraid that if it is separation anxiety, that if I do leave him out of the crate he will chew or destroy the whole house!! Any thoughts or tips???
Buck - Mix born June 30th, 2002
Roxy - Flashy Fawn Boxer- waiting at the bridge (2/14/04-9/18/08)
Lisha_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never been faced with that situation, so I really can't offer and advice. Just as a suggestion, do you have a room that is pet proof or that can be that you can confine him in when you are gone, such as a bathroom or laundry room and you can gate it off from the rest of the house?

Hope that you can find something that will work for you.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

This happened to our guy in a way. We rescued him when he was about a year. He hated a crate from day one. It was big enough, we made it cozy etc etc and he hated it. He bent the wire, tore his nose up. I even put locking carabiners on it and he just bent the door to a point where he could get out. I don't think it is separation anxiety on his part because we can leave him home by him self and he doesn't cry or destroy any thing. For him, he just likes to move around. He moves around at night too. He doesn't lay in one spot and sleep - every few hours, he gets up and moves to a new spot. I think that he gets too warm where he was laying so he has to go where it is cooler.

As for what you can do, you can try a plastic crate - like what they would use for airline shipping. I would also start over with the crate training. Be gone for short periods of time and praise good behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
I have never been faced with that situation, so I really can't offer and advice. Just as a suggestion, do you have a room that is pet proof or that can be that you can confine him in when you are gone, such as a bathroom or laundry room and you can gate it off from the rest of the house?

Hope that you can find something that will work for you.
We do have a puppy proof room, but he can climb over a gate with no troubles and I'm afraid he would scratch the door....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdrees View Post
This happened to our guy in a way. We rescued him when he was about a year. He hated a crate from day one. It was big enough, we made it cozy etc etc and he hated it. He bent the wire, tore his nose up. I even put locking carabiners on it and he just bent the door to a point where he could get out. I don't think it is separation anxiety on his part because we can leave him home by him self and he doesn't cry or destroy any thing. For him, he just likes to move around. He moves around at night too. He doesn't lay in one spot and sleep - every few hours, he gets up and moves to a new spot. I think that he gets too warm where he was laying so he has to go where it is cooler.

As for what you can do, you can try a plastic crate - like what they would use for airline shipping. I would also start over with the crate training. Be gone for short periods of time and praise good behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Starting over is a great idea. I have to say...today I switched out the white zip ties for black ones, thinking he couldn't see them so he might not chew them. I had to leave for a few hours tonight and he did stay put. Nothing looks bent or out of shape either. It might work...I will give a few days and see if it helps. I am slowly leaving him out more when we are gone. I only fully trusted Ruby out of her's when she was one year. Let's hope the zip tie works till I can trust the little booger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.