Got a Prong Collar for 6m old, and didn't get the results... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Got a Prong Collar for 6m old, and didn't get the results...

Before I put it on, I allowed her to sniff it, see it & understand it in her own way.
We went for the walk... First few minutes she was dealing with the feel of it. During the
walk she was still forcing her ways, after 20 minutes she did one of her bolts only to squeel herself (she looked at me; as if I was the bad guy) than she did her explosive bolt of to the side and front 3 more times, squeeled again (must of hurt) she still kept on pulling just 30% less.... not to sure what to think of this...
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

would not have a clue as i have never had reason to use one but i would think that ANY new type of equipment requires a conditioning in phase for the dog.

"...allowed her to sniff it, see it & understand it in her own way..."

then going on a merry walk and wondering why her first response after her first "bolt" was a "squeel" makes perfect sense to me, the dog has no idea what is going on or how it is supposed to respond imo you confused and scared yr dog and it is no further ahead in your solution to the problem, possibly further behind.

i am guessing there is a correct way to introduce and condition yr dog to these gadgets, hopefully someone who knows the correct techniques will tell you.

good luck
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you are afraid of her having any pain from a prong, or worrying about her feeling like youre hurting her.. you could try a halti head harness. My pup pulled as he started getting older and it got to the point where i couldnt control him if he was too excited. I was looking hard into a prong, my only concern was if he still pulls with the prong on it seems like it would hurt his neck. I may be wrong, Ive never used one. And im sure there is a period where they need to get used to it. But, i ended up going with a halti. It fits around their snout and clips back behind their ears. It has a clip to go to the collar so if they slip it your still hooked to them. You clip the leash to a point under their muzzle. If they pull, it pulls their face down, and they cant see well ahead of them. So, its more of an annoyance to them. And my boy pulls WAY less. He is 80 lbs and I am 135 lbs, and I am definitely very in control when he is wearing his halti. I highly recommend looking into it.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know using the prong seems basic, but you might want to consider a trainer for proper walking/heeling and using the prong. Did you placed the prong on correctly? High on the neck, below the ears, not tool loose and the prongs should not be placed under the neck, that where the rings should go so you don't damage trachea.

A quick "pop" is all you need. Are you encouraging your dog to heel or just letting it go wherever on a flexi leash? Although all dogs are different, I've used these on both my large dogs starting as puppies and they never showed any discomfort or made squealing noises. They do offer excellent control when used correctly.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

You just need to understand how it works. I think it would be best to start off with a loose leash walk.

You need to get a 10ft or 12ft leash.

Obviously fit the prong collar correctly on the dog's neck and attach the leash. Pick a side for the dog to walk on. (i keep it the same every time i walk my dog so they won't get confused.) Throw almost all of the leash over your outside shoulder but keep enough for both hands to pull up on. (think of holding a baseball bat chest level.) Start to walk in a direction and has you feel your puppy stray make sure to correct with the collar at the precise moment. You need to be quick and on time so the dog understands who to follow. He/she will most likely yelp, but think of it as a cuss word from them. *&*# that hurts and i don't want it to happen again. Change directions slowly until you think your dog is getting it. walk in a "z" or a "square" or left, straight, left, straight... etc. once your pup understands he must follow you to avoid correction your walks will be much better. Once your pup understands what he needs to do you can try to bait him. Let him sniff the grass or look at whatever he wants to but change direction and correct right then for a good result.

I'm not a trainer but learned how to do this from one. It worked for me. Be gentle with the correction but get your point across. Your pup is only six months but he is stronger than most dogs for his age so you need to make sure he feels it. You should probably hear a little yelp..

Hope this helps.
AR

Pippa vom Germelhaus 12/31/2012
Andrew Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh, forgot to say.... my pup HATED the halti at first. He still dislikes it, but its better. He would paw at it and rub on everything to get it off. He would rub his face on the ground and cry like a wuss becasue he didnt like the feel of it around his head and around his muzzle. But now he tolerates it because he knows when it comes out, it means its time for a walk.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

When I started any of mine on the prong it was properly fitted and I used the dead ring, not the live ring. That should be enough. No flexi leads if you are using one.

Robert has a good description of loose leash walking. Another one for me was to lock the lead in place on my body and not yank on the lead (for loose leash walking) but move my body and let the dog correct itself and learn to move on a loose lead relative to me. I would not go longer than a six foot lead, personally (leather or biothane)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would also add, if you haven't taught your dog loose-leash walking at home or in an otherwise mostly distraction-free environment, start there first before moving onto a public street where there's going to be a lot of interesting stuff competing for your pup's attention. You need to make sure she really understands what you want before you start adding in distractions. You'll probably have to re-teach it out in public, but she'll be able to make the connection faster and with less confusion.

I'm not sure what you meant by "pulling," but if she was leaning into or consistently pulling against the collar (as opposed to hitting it and coming back to a loose leash), you weren't using it correctly. In that case, I'd definitely recommend a couple of sessions with a trainer to learn to time your corrections appropriately.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

A prong collar is not a magic tool. You need to work with someone who actually knows how to use one (preferably a trainer) to get the correct results.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I just started using prong collar since yesterday and my girl squeeled too, she pulled twice and didn't want to pull anymore and followed me every step. She paid attention to me for a change. Give it time sometimes just takes longer to learn, look up videos on how to and make sure you wear additional collar as the prongs can come off which happened to me!!!Good luck
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.