Are 2 walks per day enough? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are 2 walks per day enough?

Hi everyone!
I'm a new, first time owner of a wonderful 7 month old belgian shepherd cross. I found out over time that I'm more of a 2 walks per day kind of owner. Don't get me wrong, I love walking with my girl, but I find that I prefer to have two long walks (1 in the morning, one end of afternoon/beginning of evening) than three shorter ones. Simply because it allows me to focus on my own work in between walks better.
I should add that I DON'T have a yard, nor a second dog!! Only an apartment of 130 square metres and I live in a big city with LOADS of other dogs. She does tend to get very tired after walks, because living here gives her so much input that she is more tired here than when I go visit my parents and walk in the woods for hours.

the way our day looks varies, but generally this is what it's like
8 AM get up, meal

8.30 AM go for walk. 1 hour at least (we generally walk somewhere/drive somewhere where she can run around freely and play with other dogs). During these walks we practice obedience: loose leash walking, leave it, etc. etc.

1 PM Meal

2 PM go outside to toilet + approx. 15 minute training session (generally leave it as she wants to eat everything that's edible off the ground).

5 PM walk, same type + duration as morning

Between 6 and 7 PM meal

10 PM she'll generally fall asleep at this time (she's not crated)

In between she is played with; every day looks different really, sometimes she has doggy play dates, we do obedience with a trainer 2 times per week, I try to bring her to new places as often as possible, she is alone very little because I work from home and I live in a house with three other girls.

Would you say this is enough exercise for her? I don't find her to be destructive/overly bouncy around the house. As she gets older and it gets warmer I want to add running, swimming, cycling, agility and herding to the program.

What do you think? How do you exercise your dog? And how can you tell whether your dog gets enough exercise? I want her to have a happy and fulfilled life, and I don't want her to be bored!
juliaelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looks just about what I do with my dog. We tend to cover about 4-6 miles per day, sometimes more. If your dog is reasonable mellow at home during the day then I think she's getting enough exercise.

I don't walk my dog on the morning of club training, so her energy is high for the training field.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, i have 15 months old boy. I do two walks a day too. 30 min. in morning (just on leashe walking and heeling)and usually 2 hours afternoon (playing, training, off leashe hiking) seems to be enough to keep him out of trouble when i'm working, but he can take much more. Only time he gets tired is when i can give him whole afternoon or day outside hiking and training or mountain biking whitch we both love.
andreaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Same here, two a day about 10 blocks each time.

Plus all of the training outdoors, potty breaks and play. I think we're spending more time outside than in.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I never walk my dogs lol
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think the number of walks matters so much as the total amount of exercise. Obviously one long walk where the dog pooped out halfway through and then was bouncing off the walls at night wouldn't work, but from what you describe, I think your schedule sounds just fine. Many dogs do just fine with only one walk a day even (or less, but those dogs usually have something else going on to give them exercise!).

The only change I would personally make to your schedule is to give her another potty break after dinner, but if it works for you, then that's what's important.

edit: don't know if you saw this, but there's a similar thread about exercise in General Behavior: Amount of Exercise?
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.