Not sure about my trainer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not sure about my trainer

I've been working with a "Master Trainer" who came highly recommended but even the same people who recommended her are now expressing disappointment. I am meeting with other trainers this week but I would like to get some outside opinions from more experienced people or trainers if possible.

I practice the obedience commands with my Shadow every day and he got to obey me from the 1st command, but also got to ignore the trainer. I had a perfect recall! I never even needed a correction. She worked him hard so he would listen to her again, pinning him down like wrestlers do, hard corrections on the prong collar, restraining him.. I watched in tears.

Then she began to break my commands, like interrupting a long down and scolding him when he'd come to me on command. I feel like I've lost him. I dont have that 1st command response anymore and I dont understand how scolding him when he obeys me and giving him a treat when he breaks my command is in any way productive. I asked her and she didn't answer. Do you have any idea how that'd help my relationship with my dog at all?

I plan on talking to her again, I'll bring it up with these new trainers... but basically I'm writing because, I don't want to push these new guys' ethics to possibly badmouth a fellow trainer and she can BS me as I'm not experienced. I actually do lose sleep with the worry that I may not get my dog's trust and attention back so any comments any of you can give about this woman's approach will be very appreciated as will suggestions for screening a new trainer. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Phoebes; 01-02-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: attempting better clarity
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you're dissatisfied with the service you are paying for stop going. Find a new trainer. If a trainer was being harsh with my pup and I was uncomfortable with it I would stop it. It is my responsibility to protect my pup and I would do so..I don't care what certifications or endorsements by others they have. Be your pup's advocate.

Last edited by Mrs.P; 01-02-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Mrs.P is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would take my money and RUN somewhere else.

In my opinion, there's really no reason your trainer should try and be making your dog listen to her. A trainer's job is to teach the owner how to train their dog. The only reason she should take your dog and bark commands at your dog at all is to demonstrate to you how to handle/work your dog.
You want your dog to be loyal to YOU.
Ozzy listens to me, no questions asked. If you're not me, you can pretty much forget about him doing much of anything you ask of him - and I'm PERFECTLY okay with that.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The way you're explaining it doesn't make any sense to me either. It doesn't really matter if you're not experienced and they are - if you're not happy with the trainer, if she doesn't respect you enough to answer your questions and explain what she's doing, then why would you keep going there? You're confused and so is your dog. Find another trainer.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like a crook to me.

If she can get the dog to listen to her and not you she can keep charging you for extra lessons to teach you how to get it to listen to you.
OffgridAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Get away from her before she ruins your dog. She is doing the exact opposite of what she is supposed to do.
ed1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also think you need to run. There is no reason for a trainer to pin a dog down as you describe. I am guessing you are referring to so-called alpha rolling, which is a terrible idea for many many reasons, but is especially ridiculous in a situation where the dog is progressing in his training with his owner, but not listening to the trainer. Also, I cannot think of a single reason to scold a dog for obeying a command, or rewarding him for ignoring it. No wonder he is confused and not responding to your commands right away anymore! Those are the two biggest red flags that popped out to me, but not the only ones at all.

I think that, inexperienced or not, you should trust your instincts and find another trainer. You should never be in tears about a trainer's treatment of your dog as you describe.

Don't worry about your relationship with your dog. Your trainer probably has rocked his confidence in you, but you can rebuild that trust and make it even better. Just give it some time and don't beat yourself up, you're doing the best you can.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Holy crap...RUN!

Explain to this new trainer what you were doing, what this "master" trainer was doing and the results. You don't need to give out names but I would explain exactly what this so called trainer was doing with your dog because they will need to know so they can fix it.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is all old school stuff not done anymore - esp the pinning down/roll ...and the goal is that the dog obeys you not the "MT"....

If what someone does to your dog makes you cry - stop them and get the dog out of there....someone wanted to force retrieve Kyra - they did one session and I stopped them....then they said I would never title her if I did not let them do it...I went on to get 6? 8? Sch3s....and 2 High in Trials.....the dumbbell work was never great, but it was always a Good....worked for me.

I vote with everyone else - QUIT and Go elsewhere.....NOW!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
If what someone does to your dog makes you cry - stop them and get the dog out of there....
This is so important and true. Trust your eyes and your feelings, not "everyone recommended this person" or "well, he won a competition."
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.