Not sure about my trainer - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
A confusing post! (to me anyway)

Who is handling your dog - you or the trainer?

If you have the ability to "get 1at command obedience" and a "perfect" recall - why are you going to a trainer in the first place?

BTW - how old is your dog?

He is 8 months old. There were times she'd handle him and others when I did. For example she'd maybe do a walk-thru with him and then it'd be my turn after. Things were fine for a while, the prong was introduced only recently but it was used gently and she never even raised her voice at him until that last class.

He's not a pet or a show dog. There's a job waiting for him when he's ready so the training is to get him working beyond basic obedience. We had 1st command obedience at a basic level but there's more that I need him to learn. I can teach him to give me his paw and show me his teeth but not how to work off leash.

We were on the right track and things were going very well until that happened. He's not all bad, he doesn't ignore me, it's just that his responses haven't been the same. So I've been taking it very easy with him until I find someone good to help me because I don't want to make it worse.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

I didn't train him on my own. We had Basic Obedience with the same trainer and it was a completely different experience. It was as we were moving into Advanced Obedience that her methods changed drastically. He didn't down when she asked, that was her response and that was my last class.

It was confusing because people have been telling me that's how it's supposed to be. It didn't make sense, I felt I was owed an explanation, she didnt want to talk til I cooled down but now I've listened to it and it makes less sense than what I was thinking (that she was hormonal and was having a bad side effect after taking the wrong medication). I'm glad I wrote this board because my friends and family have experienced worse training their dogs and I've seen reviews about worse things. So really if anyone here had said "yes that's how it is, and it only looks rough" then I would have just forgotten about a service dog.

I'll still train my dog, but just like selzer recommended, we're taking it easy for now. I did speak to a trainer today and he's added that my loss of control could be that he's a teenager now.

Thanks Blitzkrieg1, I can do that too... his teething phase was the hardest and I survived it so I can check books and training videos. Anyone have suggestions?

And as for middleofnowhere and codmaster's suggestions about key phrases, have you ever been in a position where you wanted to scream so bad that your voice wouldn't come out? I have. Twice. One involved a death and this was the second.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebes View Post
I didn't train him on my own. We had Basic Obedience with the same trainer and it was a completely different experience. It was as we were moving into Advanced Obedience that her methods changed drastically. He didn't down when she asked, that was her response and that was my last class.

It was confusing because people have been telling me that's how it's supposed to be. It didn't make sense, I felt I was owed an explanation, she didnt want to talk til I cooled down but now I've listened to it and it makes less sense than what I was thinking (that she was hormonal and was having a bad side effect after taking the wrong medication). I'm glad I wrote this board because my friends and family have experienced worse training their dogs and I've seen reviews about worse things. So really if anyone here had said "yes that's how it is, and it only looks rough" then I would have just forgotten about a service dog.

I'll still train my dog, but just like selzer recommended, we're taking it easy for now. I did speak to a trainer today and he's added that my loss of control could be that he's a teenager now.

Thanks Blitzkrieg1, I can do that too... his teething phase was the hardest and I survived it so I can check books and training videos. Anyone have suggestions?

And as for middleofnowhere and codmaster's suggestions about key phrases, have you ever been in a position where you wanted to scream so bad that your voice wouldn't come out? I have. Twice. One involved a death and this was the second.
Phoebes,

I would take a little break from training your dog, but I wouldn't do it for too long - maybe a week or two max.; and that is much more for you than your dog. If you had a good relationship with your dog before the trainer incident, then you will have now. Dogs don't "think" about stuff like humans do and will not "hold a grudge" against you for what happened!.

And again assuming that he had a good temperament before (and he sounds like he does) then a little rough stuff will not have a lasting impact on him - esp. since it was someone else and not you anyway.

We had a somewhat similar training session wih my then 3.5 yo male GSD when I took him to a trainer due to some serious DA and bullying on his part toward another specific GSD male. We had the two muzzled and had them together and my bully tried to jump on the other dog who tried to first hide behind his owner and then tried to fight back.

The trainer grabbed my guy and laid him on the ground and held him till he looked away (a sign of submission!) (by the way - should have heard the tremendous growling that emanated from my dog during this action - trainer told me later that he was very glad we had a sturdy muzzle on him!) and then we tried it again with the two dogs. Had to do the same thing twice more - one more by the trainer and then he had me do the same thing - and we finally got the dogs to be able to lay down next to each other and stay calm! So it did work and next time they were together (we are both in a group of GSD owners who meet weekly!); they were MUCH, MUCH better being around each other.

AND next time we were at the trainers facility - my guy was his usual friendly self (he knew him from us training there for a while previously) with the trainer - no reaction whatsoever from the admittedly rough corrections doled out to my dog.

Depends a lot on the temperament and pesonality of the dog, I think.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I'm with Selzer. Anyone keeps me from getting to my dog, they'd be looking into dentures next! I don't mind if stiff penalties are handed out as long as I am the one doing it. That 'trainer' was way out of bounds.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #35 (permalink)

Thanks codmaster. LOL I think you're right that the only one who was traumatized was me! I really am feeling much better. I'm new here so it's a nice surprise that I'm getting this much support and constructive advice.

Shadow actually does have a great temperament. He's a tank that way and a big strong boy. The ex-trainer is a sumo wrestler of a woman though so it made a wicked nasty impression.

You know, if the goal had been to resolve an aggression problem like yours, I think I would have understood and accepted this method. Thanks for letting me know yours got through that unscathed and I'm glad it worked out for you. I have this overwhelming sense of pride, honor, joy that I'm Shadow's person so it was killing me that I had betrayed that. I actually feel guilty that dogs don't hold grudges over my mistakes.

In my case, I feel it's unwarranted (read: ridiculous) that he got such a harsh correction for behavior the trainer knew I wanted, it's even on the contract. And I also hope that her work breaking my commands doesn't leave a lasting impact either.

He's been acting a little tense around new people, which is new for him so of course I worried it might be due to the rough handling experience, but at least the new potential trainer we already met didn't seem concerned.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I know who you're referring to, his wife Cheryl used to be a member here. I don't know anything about training via Skype, but I think he'd be a fine choice if you decide to go that route.
Cassidy's Mom, Thanks for the recommendation! I'm loving Cheryl's work. I wrote Kevin and I'll know soon enough if he can help. I wish I knew them personally, I'd offer them to stay at our beachfront apartment so he could train my dog in person.

Aahh fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.