Prong Collar and Cats/Walking - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have also just invested (and I can't believe I waited this long) in a training leash so he could unleash a lot of his energy chasing his ball (his favorite) He loved it, and has been sleeping for about 2 hours. Hoping this will help as well because he got A LOT more exercise playing fetch for an hour than I have been able to give him taking him on daily jogs (which has been hard because of the snow and extreme cold).

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I didn'get my GSD until he was 8 months old. He absolutely saw my cats as prey &'would have killed them if my husband and I hadn't had him on a leash and even then he almost pulled our arms off. We have a trainer & work with our dog daily but as soon as the trainer was gone Max would be back in cat killing mode. We did use a prong collar. It was a bust.

With our trainer showing us how to use it we switched to an e-collar. Max was cured in one afternoon. Our cats can be out where he is and even run in front of him. He doesn't even look at them. I'd still never leave Max alone with the cats but we can all roam around the house free and I'm comfortable that Max isn't going to kill the cats as long as he knows I'm in the house.

Last edited by Jolynna; 12-30-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Jolynna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolynna View Post
I didn'get my GSD until he was 8 months old. He absolutely saw my cats as prey &'would have killed them if my husband and I hadn't had him on a leash and even then he almost pulled our arms off. We have a trainer & work with our dog daily but as soon as the trainer was gone Max would be back in cat killing mode. We did use a prong collar. It was a bust.

With our trainer showing us how to use it we switched to an e-collar. Max was cured in one afternoon. Our cats can be out where he is and even run in front of him. He doesn't even look at them. I'd still never leave Max alone with the cats but we can all roam around the house free and I'm comfortable that Max isn't going to kill the cats as long as he knows I'm in the house.
Ber will pull my arms off if he's on a leash and sees a kitty. He's so strong already! Glad to hear the e-collar worked for you - if all else fails that will be my last resort. Hoping the prong/desensitization works though! I'll never leave Ber alone with the cats either, I just want him to not go after them if he's out with me!

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.