German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Shutting Down Dog question. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/196879-shutting-down-dog-question.html)

jeostang 12-22-2012 06:38 PM

Shutting Down Dog question.

We got a GSD from an owner that had no time for him. We have had him for a week and a half, and has energy all the time, he jumps on counters, steals food, shoes, socks, etc. We take him for walks, play fetch in the yard, and I do 5 to 10 min training with him. We taught him to stay, sit, but the down command and come is taking a while. It seems like he thinks this is not a permanent home. I think we also made a mistake by letting his previous owner come visit. Right now we only crate him while we are gone. He sleeps in the room with us, and is in the house where ever we are. Would shutting him down help him bond and have better house manners.

He is 14 months old.

Jag 12-22-2012 07:41 PM

Time and training will help. I would not let the previous owner visit for awhile. You need that time so the dog isn't confused. Send pics and updates via email for now. He is still a puppy, so I think you're fine. Personally, I wouldn't do a shut down on this particular pup. He sounds like he's doing just fine. If he's still got lots of energy, increase his walk time. Just walking with your new pup and training times a few times a day will really help your bond. Lots of praise!

bocron 12-23-2012 09:00 AM

We just got a 10 month old female. With her I am doing a modified shut down. I have limited her out and about time. She was fed by hand only for the first week or so and got lots of treats for engaging with me (be it making eye contact or just coming to me for a bit of attention). She is slowly going through learning house manners, not grabbing everything she sees, that type of thing.
I would crate him a bit more for a little while. He needs to start thinking you are the bright spot in his day for a while. Of course my new girl got here on a Tuesday and went into heat on Thursday so we were kind of forced into an isolation program. My own female came in to heat a few days later so the 2 of them are in "The Red Tent" together. It has made for an interesting introduction but probably a good thing. She's spent most of her time with my girl who is pretty bossy but in a nice way. She's learned to play with her which will make it easier when we transition her to meeting the males.

doggiedad 12-23-2012 09:28 AM

training and socializing will help with all of your problems. how
often do you train? 5 to 10 minute training how often?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeostang (Post 2661910)
We got a GSD from an owner that had no time for him. We have had him for a week and a half, and has energy all the time, he jumps on counters, steals food, shoes, socks, etc. We take him for walks, play fetch in the yard, and I do 5 to 10 min training with him. We taught him to stay, sit, but the down command and come is taking a while. It seems like he thinks this is not a permanent home. I think we also made a mistake by letting his previous owner come visit. Right now we only crate him while we are gone. He sleeps in the room with us, and is in the house where ever we are.

>>>> Would shutting him down help him bond and have better house manners.<<<<

He is 14 months old.

MaggieRoseLee 12-23-2012 09:34 AM

I'm confused with what you mean by 'shutting him down'? So I can't answer that part.

What I can answer is it takes months to get your new pup, any new pup, used to their new forever home. Specially if it's near the old home and if they just saw there old owner. Heck, if it only took a week, when I have to go away for training for a week and leave my dog at at friends I'd never get them back at all :)

Love love love, playing, short FUN training sessions.

Taking the new dog in the car and away from the house/neighborhood to new places really helps put you into a leadership role so they look up and to you for guidance.

DOG CLASSES! Absolutely the best way to make sure you do a weekly session with homework for months in a new place with new people/dogs. Just more of the 'new life' and it's a WONDERFUL new life.