German Shepherds Forum banner

Prong collars

14K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Jaders 
#1 ·
A totally genuine question - why are prong collars the norm in the US?

I am in the UK, and we rarely see prong collars on dogs over here. I have seen the odd one, but they are definitely not the norm. It may just be a cultural thing, but I think prong collars would be frowned upon over here for dogs, other than perhaps those training in Schutzhund/IPO. Even our police service dogs do not wear prong collars (although some still do wear check chains).

If your dog wears a prong, why did you come to the decision to use one in the first place?

#33 ·
I just recently started using a prong collar which was recommended by my trainer. My previous Shepherd was delightful, so a prong wasn't needed and barely used the choker that was on him. Gunner on the other hand is a handful. The prong makes corrections easier and I have noticed he is better now than he was before without the prong.

Since the prong is his "working/training/going out collar", it is in the closet and is only used for those things. I plan on slowly taking the prong away if he can learn to behave as years come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.