Messing in the house, please help!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Messing in the house, please help!!!

Hi all, I would appreciate some advice I have a male called Koas nearly 10 months old that I rehomed 6wks ago now after loosing my last boy. Everything has been great up until about 3days ago, he had not had any accidents in the house and was being an absolute dream but now he is messing when I go to bed at night and when I go to work in the day time.
I haven't altered his food although I did try feeding him earlier to give it time to go through him before bedtime and before work (I am only out of the house during the day for 5hours) but this has not worked. I stood outside with him for 30 mins last night waiting for him to go and he wouldn't, then when I get up in the morning he has left me a parcel again.
I ignore the behaviour put him in the garden while I clear it up and then let him back in as if nothing happened, I just don't understand why all of a sudden this has started when he was doing so well.
please help!!!!
kelly-lou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If don't have a crate,I would start crating him at night. If this is a new behavior, a vet check may be in order as well.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would agree that if it is a new behavior and nothing has changed in his life otherwise, a vet check is definitely in order. Sometimes a refusal to eliminate in front of the owner but then going when no one is around can be a sign of pain or illness. Don't let that scare you because there can be a lot of other reasons for it, but it's definitely worth checking out!

If a vet check rules out any physical reason, I agree that crate training will help you a lot. Most healthy dogs will not mess in their crates unless they absolutely have to (they're sick and can't hold it, left alone too long--which it doesn't sound like you're doing, etc.).

You are handling the accidents correctly, just in case you needed reinforcement there. Are you cleaning thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner? If not, I would do that, particularly if he is going in the same spot each time. It may be that he's just found a new favorite spot, and getting rid of the odor (which you won't be able to smell, but he can) will help with that.

Basically, you'll have to re-housetrain him. Put him back on puppy lockdown--always supervised outside, and either tethered to you (or loose in an enclosed room where you can keep an eye on him) or in a crate if you can't watch him because you're asleep or out of the house. Praise him any time he eliminates outside (even urination, which doesn't sound like it's a problem in the house--but still, err on the side of rewarding him for it). Make it a big party if he actually poops out there. The good news is that it shouldn't take as long as initially housebreaking him.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Vet check and go back to the crate training.

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi all thank-you for the reply's he was vet checked recently when I 1st got him (I've only had him 6wks) and since I have posted on here about this he seems to have stopped again I think maybe he just had a little blip.
If he does start up again I will consider the crate training, he is my 3rd shepherd and I have only used a crate with my second one (just personal choice that its something I prefer not to have to do, but if I will if he starts it up again.
He is a fantastic boy in every other way and I'm so pleased to have him here with me and my daughter, the man that I got him from had hit him I think as he is very hand shy and generally nervous but his confidence is growing everyday, when I first got him he was very jumpy and wouldn't interact with us but now he just follows us everywhere (typical shadow dog) and I just howl with laughter when he has his mad half hour dashing around the house like a looney tune :-)
kelly-lou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.