German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Do You Totally Trust Your Dog Off Leash? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/196414-do-you-totally-trust-your-dog-off-leash.html)

Gharrissc 12-15-2012 05:52 PM

Do You Totally Trust Your Dog Off Leash?

This question doesn't apply to people who don't have a solid recall on their dogs,but for the rest of you ,do you totally trust your dogs off leash or do you use precautions depending on the area? This is assuming that you are in an area where there are no leash requirements. I've heard some people say that a truly well trained dog should be trusted anywhere off leash and should always recall.

I personally use discretion depending on the area,even for my dogs who have a solid recall.

Shade 12-15-2012 06:02 PM

Jazzy I would trust anywhere off leash, her recall has been solid since she was 9 weeks old and has never failed. She doesn't WANT to leave my side so it's easy to call her back if needed

Delgado not so much, I do trust him off leash but only in certain areas. He's getting there but not yet :)

llombardo 12-15-2012 06:03 PM

The only time they are allowed off leash is when they are in an enclosed area. I might considered it during hiking or if I'm in the middle of a forest preserve. I won't ever trust them, to many things can happen and I just don't feel its worth that risk. It is definitely more my fear then anything. The GSD doesn't ever go far from me and she is always checking in. She does real well off leash, so does the golden, the older one is getting better(she is to old to run from me).

GsdLoverr729 12-15-2012 06:06 PM

I trust Koda 100% without any doubts. She's always been amazing with her recall, and like Shade's girl Jazzy, always wants to be by my side. I have never had her hesitate or not come when called.
So, if we are in an area where she doesn't have to have a leash on, she doesn't have one on. I want to say, though, that anywhere with cars does NOT count in my mind as a place she isn't required to be leashed.
Other than that, I have never had any worries about her off-leash. If anything, she behaves BETTER when she isn't on a leash (which is pretty near impossible :p).

bocron 12-15-2012 06:06 PM

I totally trust my dogs off-leash but we do 90% of our training off-leash from day one. But like you I use discretion and common sense. Just because I trust them doesn't mean I'm not going to be wise and cover my bases. My vet's office has an odd parking situation, right off a very busy street. Your car is literally about 6 feet from the road when you are unloading. I know my dogs will hop out and platz on command, but I still snap a leash on while still in the car. I've never needed to really use it, but it's on regardless.
We have a private 12 acre dog park as part of our business so my dogs get a ton of practice coming to me off leash when called with TONS of distractions. It's a pain in the neck sometimes, but it is a nice skill when you've worked on it to be sure.

Wild Wolf 12-15-2012 06:09 PM

I trust Hunter 100% off leash. His recall has never failed me. Tried, tested and true. He's always been that way - he's very biddable. He'd be crushed if I got mad at him for not returning. Haha.

We train a lot off leash, a lot with distractions, a lot in high drive. Like a down and recall in high prey drive / ball drive. Hard work pays off, I firmly believe that.

Miss Molly May 12-15-2012 06:09 PM

I trust Molly 100% off leash! We don't even need to tie her up in the yard she stays within the boundaries we trained her to stay within! She does not like being further then 20 feet from us

Dainerra 12-15-2012 06:13 PM

Rayden 100%, any time any place.

Singe, I trust in a KNOWN environment.

Laney 12-15-2012 06:19 PM

I trust Rivers 100% off leash. It definitely took a while to get to that point, but his recall is solid now and he won't let me get too far from him. It helps that he knows the commands "fast", "slow", "left", and "right" so when he goes to far ahead I can direct him or tell him to slow down or stay close to me. That being said, I use extra precaution when he is off-leash. If there are roads nearby I make sure he stays extra close (even though he knows to sit and wait for me before leaving the curb), I always keep a leash with me, and at night I always have a flashlight so I can see anything that can be a danger to him.

GatorDog 12-15-2012 06:25 PM

Aiden can go anywhere off leash. His recall has been 100% reliable for at least 2 years now.