3yo Bear with some pulling issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3yo Bear with some pulling issues

Hello from Alaska everyone!

So, I guess now I think about it I really have 2 questions. It concerns my 3 year old GSD Bear.

1.) I got him as a rescue when he was 11 months (He just turned 3 Oct. 24th) and he does pretty well off leash, but on leash he can be a pain in the neck. I've tried different methods ever since to try and get him to ease up, including the Halti that goes around the face, 2 different kinds of harnesses, running him out then going over training, food reinforcement and play reinforcement. He does okay until something distracts him then its back to pulling. I do think that part of the problem is that there is a certain stretch of our daily walk where it runs very close to the road and the sidewalk is narrow so I have him walk in front of me so I feel a little safer. I know that I am sending him mixed signals, but I don't feel comfortable having him walk next to me when we are so close to oncoming traffic. I'm getting us into an obedience class next month, but I'm looking for pointers on what else to do as well just in case it isn't covered in the class.

2.) Is him off leash. He does fantastic for the most part, especially at the dog park and when we are going into houses or cars. The only problem is that when he sees another dog or someone he wants to say hello to, He'll run (and I mean run) over to them, sniff, then run back. I can't call him back no matter how loud I yell or what consequence I give him for doing so (I do not beat him at all, but a stern "no" and making him essentially sit in a time out). The problem is, when people see a huge black dog running toward them, people get scared. Who can blame them?

Any pointers? Please!

I should also probably mention that he does get regular exercise. We go on either a 2 mile walk or we go to the dog park then one of the other coastal parks to run. I also try to tire him mentally by getting different puzzles and stuff for him to work on, he's just too smart for his own good!

Thank you!

Shelby, GSD. RIP 1996-2010
Alsatian_MaMa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello, I just wanted to recommend a prong collar to you. I am an overweight elderly woman and with the prong that I have which is a quick release I have immediate control. Just be sure to attach a flat collar also with the prong to be on the safe side in case the prong would break.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! I'll definitely try that.

Your Ace looks like my Bear

Shelby, GSD. RIP 1996-2010
Alsatian_MaMa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.