German Shepherds Forum banner

Training Questions...

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LouCastle 
#1 ·
I have a 9 month old GSD and she has been to two different training classes..

at 3 months, we did a "puppy" class, I wasn’t expecting to get a whole lot out of that class, just wanted her to be socialized. It was a 6 week class where she was taught (and caught on VERY fast) most commands, i.e. sit, down, stay(she has “forgotten” this one), etc.
At 5 months, we took her to Man’s Best Friend for a 2 week board & train program, with a lifetime of trainer classes to follow. They promised to help with house breaking, barking, jumping- you name it.. Well, she came back MUCH worse- relieving herself everywhere, whining loudly when put in her kennel, jumping on EVERYTHING, she even cleared our dining room table- imagine my surprise to see my puppy laying on that! My biggest problem was that they did not tell me they were going to use a Prong Collar to train. I have NOTHING against Prongs, just that when we went back, the trainer said that because we had not been back in a week and had not used that specific collar for a week, she would have a reaction and would probably whine when it was put on- that being said, he proceeded to literally DRAG my puppy across the floor while she was screaming!(or at least, the sound they make when they are highly distressed) I said UM, I don’t think I am okay with this, I really think you might be hurting her!! And he said a lot of owners have to leave the room when he does this because it upsets them and that the dog is fine. I replied that I was not okay with that, and promptly took my dog back, and left. To hear her make those sounds, and seem so pitiful and distressed was NOT worth getting her trained there!

Now that is she 9 months and starting to get very STRONG, I have been looking at different in-home trainers, hoping 3rd time is a charm!! I want to work on her barking (she uses this as a way to get my attention- even going so far as to grab my hair in her mouth and pull when I refuse to give her attention due to barking), JUMPING!, and walking better on the leash and listening and performing commands when I ask, not when she feels like it. My point to this post is that I’ve got two trainers I am looking at- they are both very professional and have excellent backgrounds in dealing with GSDs. One is a K-9 Police Trainer & Handler (Remy is NOT getting trained to become a K-9 cop, just very interested in having him train my dog to the Police Dog standard), and one is a trainer who uses remote collar training. I have had a meeting with both of them, where they met Remy and evaluated her, and both said she is a very good dog, she just needs to learn her manners. The K-9 trainer thinks that a 9 mo. dog (or really any dog) does not ever need to be on an ecollar at all. But with the ecollar trainer, she responded and reacted very well to him. She responded well to BOTH of them, and they BOTH had her acting like a stellar dog when they were handling her.

I guess my question is, which route should I go?! Has anyone had experience with either? Or just any suggestions would be great.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone?? Ha, I have to make a decision by Sunday of which trainer to go with!

#4 ·
I'm about 20 mins from Dallas. I'll PM you info.

#6 ·
Trainer

You likely are not going to go wrong with either trainer, however you are going to have to continue to train your dog and follow the same philosophy that your trainer is using. Evaluate what might work best from you in the long run and go that way. If you stop working daily with your dog after the trainer is gone all the hard work(and money) will be for nothing. You must continue to be consistent, persistent and insistent. Good luck

#8 ·
We decided to go with the K9 trainer. It seemed he handled my dog better and I was more comfortable with his method of training!

This trainer is also runs a Schutzhund training club, so I'm excited to get Remington into some agility and higher obedience training once this is finished!

Yesterday, we met with him from 3-6 and realized our puppy has really not been trained at all! She was/is totally treat and collar trained. She has no idea what the words actually mean. Yesterday, we worked on "Sit" without a treat present, and she finally started understanding the word and got lots of good praise and pets! We also worked on leash walking, as she LOVES to "play" as we walk and either pulls me around or is constantly biting on her leash, we are correcting this with me being the main walker with a regular leash, and also having a prong collar in place of her regular collar with that being controlled by Cody, my boyfriend, if she starts to chew on the leash or pull me, he corrects her while I say a firm "No" and she thinks the correction comes from me. She needed only ONE correction yesterday and learned fast not to do that! So far, she has far exceeded my expectations!!

For the next 6 weeks, we will be working on all of her commands, "down, stay, etc.." But, I have to say, we are already on a good path to happy dog and happy owner!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I see you already found somebody. Here is a list of the AKC clubs in TX in case you decide to join an obedience club. There are a lot of advantages to joining a club: a warm/cool place to train when not in class, discounts on classes, discounts on merchandise, expertise of many experienced trainers, socialization.

Training Resources

#12 ·
Hi! I've got a German shepherd puppy, and I want to give it to a professional trainer. But the thing is that even after reading many reviews (Veterinary and vet services review and complaints), I still doubt about what trainer to choose. I have no idea! Can you help?

You want to give it to a trainer? I would suggest finding either an in-home trainer, or a class somewhere where YOU also attend and learn how to train.

With my experience of dropping Remy off at a 2 week board and train program, she came back no different-if not worse. Now, we've got a certified K9 trainer/handler as our trainer who not only trains Remy, but trains ME as well in how to train her. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.