German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   70 Days Old GS Training: Our Expectations and Our Success (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/195789-70-days-old-gs-training-our-expectations-our-success.html)

JohnDoe 12-05-2012 11:11 PM

70 Days Old GS Training: Our Expectations and Our Success
 
Hello there fellow members!
I have a 80 Days old (as of today 06 Dec 2012) GS Dog(female). She is very active an good at learning commands. I live in a remote area so I can't attent any classes and training her the I can. Here is what I expect from her and what we have accomplished:
1. Clicker training & clicker attention.
Done

2. Potty
Done

3. Come, Sit, Stay.
Done

4. Leash walk around my house.
60 % Success I think.

Now I am listing what I can't figure out how to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. She is too afraid of other street dogs (yes we have them here).
2. She is afraid of strangers, I tried some conventional methods like having strangers give her treats or letting them pet her but he is always afraid and runs for her crate. Help Needed
3.
I wanna train her to be an alert guard. Any help?
4. Any help for protection training.

I know it is quite much to expect from her but hey GS are brilliant dogs and I have enough time to spend with her and train her.
Hope you guys will help me with this.

codmaster 12-06-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 2648323)
Hello there fellow members!
I have a 80 Days old (as of today 06 Dec 2012) GS Dog(female). She is very active an good at learning commands. I live in a remote area so I can't attent any classes and training her the I can. Here is what I expect from her and what we have accomplished:
1. Clicker training & clicker attention.
Done

2. Potty
Done

3. Come, Sit, Stay.
Done

4. Leash walk around my house.
60 % Success I think.

Now I am listing what I can't figure out how to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. She is too afraid of other street dogs (yes we have them here).
2. She is afraid of strangers, I tried some conventional methods like having strangers give her treats or letting them pet her but he is always afraid and runs for her crate. Help Needed
3. I wanna train her to be an alert guard. Any help?
4. Any help for protection training.

I know it is quite much to expect from her but hey GS are brilliant dogs and I have enough time to spend with her and train her.
Hope you guys will help me with this.


Forget protection training with a dog who is afraid of strangers - not very likely to change dramatically into an alert confident dog (the kind to train in protection).

Work on socialization and training to get your dog's confidence up!

BTW, at 80 days your training of OB is just started, nowhere near done.

For example, will she come to you when there are a lot of strangers between you? Or will she come when she is playing with a family member or with another dog?

Sounds like you have a good start, but only that. It takes a LOOONG time to "proof" a dog's obedience and may trials and distractions!

JohnDoe 12-06-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codmaster (Post 2648385)
Forget protection training with a dog who is afraid of strangers - not very likely to change dramatically into an alert confident dog (the kind to train in protection).

Work on socialization and training to get your dog's confidence up!

BTW, at 80 days your training of OB is just started, nowhere near done.

For example, will she come to you when there are a lot of strangers between you? Or will she come when she is playing with a family member or with another dog?

Sounds like you have a good start, but only that. It takes a LOOONG time to "proof" a dog's obedience and may trials and distractions!

Actually I don't want her protecting me by attacking someone, just she should make some one scared by barking or growling.

And when I wrote Done I meant that she now understand that command and obeys it, of course to master the obedience one needs much more time.

And thanks a lot for your reply but I humbly beg to differ here that her fear of strangers can't be cured or she can't be trained to protection. Just I don't know how yet. Hopefully someone here will have any clue.
Waiting again.

codmaster 12-06-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 2649202)
Actually I don't want her protecting me by attacking someone, just she should make some one scared by barking or growling.

And when I wrote Done I meant that she now understand that command and obeys it, of course to master the obedience one needs much more time.

And thanks a lot for your reply but I humbly beg to differ here that her fear of strangers can't be cured or she can't be trained to protection. Just I don't know how yet. Hopefully someone here will have any clue.
Waiting again.

john,

why would you want your dog to scare someone by barking or growling?

And more importantly, what would you expect your dog to do if someone who wishes to do you harm ignores the barking and growling? Would you believe that biting is the next logical step (at least for dogs who are not afraid of strangers, that is).

So you are going to train your fearful dog in protection work? I do wish you a great deal of luck with that.

Might be really informative for you to take your dog to a ScH club or to an experienced trainer who has a lot of bckground in protection dog training and have him tested? I would really suggest it if there is anyone around you who can do this (and if you can afford it of course).

What makes you say this: "I humbly beg to differ here that her fear of strangers can't be cured or she can't be trained to protection."

You then say you don't know how to train a protection dog?????????????


Good luck with your dog!

codmaster 12-06-2012 11:48 PM

Just out of curiosity - is your dog a male or a female? You refer to it as a he and also as a she in different places.

lzver 12-07-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 2648323)
Now I am listing what I can't figure out how to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. She is too afraid of other street dogs (yes we have them here).
2. She is afraid of strangers, I tried some conventional methods like having strangers give her treats or letting them pet her but he is always afraid and runs for her crate. Help Needed

We are working with a private trainer and one of the issues we are working to resolve with or Jake is some fear and anxiety issues. We are very early in our training days, but our trainer has us using Positive Reinforcement / Clicker training. She has us working on introducing a cue word (we chose 'here') to get Jake's attention. We started this by saying 'here' and following with click/treat. Now Jake is responding to the 'here' cue with about 80% accuracy.

Right now we are working on controlling Jake's over reactivity to people / dogs walking by our home with help of the 'here' cue. We have found there is a threshold for Jake in our front yard where he doesn't immediately start freaking out and barking. Standing that far back in our yard, when someone walks by the house we allow him to see them and get alert and then use the 'here' cue to get his attention and click/treat when he looks at us. The goal is to move the threshold closer and closer to the sidewalk and hopefully eliminate the reactive behavior.

We will use a similar method when walking Jake and he becomes anxoius and fearful around other people and dogs.

Never force your dog if they are fearful or anxious. The best way to resolve is through positive desensitization training.

JohnDoe 12-07-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codmaster (Post 2649305)
What makes you say this: "I humbly beg to differ here that her fear of strangers can't be cured or she can't be trained to protection."

You then say you don't know how to train a protection dog?????????????


Good luck with your dog!

I meant what I wrote. and I also mentioned that I know this behavior can be cured, I don't know how yet.
And it's a female dog. Sorry I wrote HE in one place.


Quote:

Originally Posted by lzver (Post 2649569)
Right now we are working on controlling Jake's over reactivity to people / dogs walking by our home with help of the 'here' cue. We have found there is a threshold for Jake in our front yard where he doesn't immediately start freaking out and barking. Standing that far back in our yard, when someone walks by the house we allow him to see them and get alert and then use the 'here' cue to get his attention and click/treat when he looks at us. The goal is to move the threshold closer and closer to the sidewalk and hopefully eliminate the reactive behavior.

We will use a similar method when walking Jake and he becomes anxoius and fearful around other people and dogs.

Never force your dog if they are fearful or anxious. The best way to resolve is through positive desensitization training.

Thanks, I will try to adopt this method also. So how much progress is Jake showing?

JohnDoe 12-07-2012 09:32 PM

@codemaster and about what make me say so is that I have seen some people do this that is cure this behavior but by punishment and I hate that. I love my dog, so I just wanna use positive reinforcement not some whipping and beating.
and how can you say that this can't be done wthout trying. Atleast tell me some way/method if you have, I wanna try. If it doesn't work and everything else fail I will also accept that her behavior can't be changed.
I see from your profile that you are an old member so you must have owned dogs for a long time, anything you an advise but please anything positive sir.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2