Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

Has anyone seen the videos and can provide some comments? Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

Is it worth the amount it's charging?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I watched the first chapter and I really liked it. My only complaint is that from what I remember it talks a lot about training theory (operant conditioning etc.) which is always nice to have a refresher on but since i have read that info a million times it was a little redundant. You reminded me I should really watch the other chapters especially since the second one talks a lot about using the e collar for outs (which I do)

I would say the more info you can get about using an e collar the better. I also read through Lou Castle's site as well and talked to several trainers/had their assistance when beginning to use the collar. You can really screw up a dog with an e collar if used improperly. I really like the way Michael Ellis introduces the collar, which is covered in the first chapter. To me that was worth the $25. (That being said if you want to use his system of collar introduction, your dog has to understand leash pressure and I'm not sure if that is covered in the e collar series.)

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think anyone using an e-collar should have an experienced trainer helping them hands on. It is something that is trained for many sessions and not a quick thing to train if done right. I trained my dog to one and maybe it was overkill but it took us 3 months to teach different exercises & proof him on it.

I would view the ME video's so you can understand the theory, but have someone w/ experience help you when you train it.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the comments. I understand the importance of a trainer. This thread is only to evaluate the video.

I'm going to rent his video on recall also as it has a section on the ecollar too.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What do you do if you can't find a trainer who uses the ecollar like that?

I've found a couple here but they use it for correction based training only. I'm dead serious. I can NOT find a trainer here who uses the ecollar the way I would like to learn how. If anyone knows of someone in Spokane, please advise. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn by video only.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
What do you do if you can't find a trainer who uses the ecollar like that?

I've found a couple here but they use it for correction based training only. I'm dead serious. I can NOT find a trainer here who uses the ecollar the way I would like to learn how. If anyone knows of someone in Spokane, please advise. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn by video only.
Thats too bad about not having a trainer to help you.
What is the main reason you want to use one?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

To be honest I have learned more about e collars through videos/reading ad doing my own research. I did get help from trainers but that's just because I am friends with a couple professional trainers. I am not new to dogs and training, but I would have been comfortable with just the info I got from doing my own research. The videos are good, as are all of the ME videos

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
To be honest I have learned more about e collars through videos/reading ad doing my own research. I did get help from trainers but that's just because I am friends with a couple professional trainers. I am not new to dogs and training, but I would have been comfortable with just the info I got from doing my own research. The videos are good, as are all of the ME videos
I agree with you, but someone who doesn't have experience as a trainer may not be so successful training e-collar just from videos. Though if that is the only option $75 is a great deal!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i heard the best way to introduce an e-collar is have someone else other than the handler operate it for you while you work the dog - i have never used one so just saying what i have heard.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i heard the best way to introduce an e-collar is have someone else other than the handler operate it for you while you work the dog - i have never used one so just saying what i have heard.
Yes this is VERY helpful. But the dog needs to become familiarized with what an e collar is before you start using it for behaviour modification. ME couples the use of the e collar with leash pressure on the prong so that the dog can become familiar with the sensation in a very controlled way.

ETA: the person with the remote better have a VERY good idea of what they are doing and what you are looking to accomplish. I would not just hand the remote off to anyone!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.