German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/194908-michael-ellis-remote-collar-theory.html)

Bear L 11-22-2012 07:33 PM

Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

Has anyone seen the videos and can provide some comments? Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

Is it worth the amount it's charging?

Thanks in advance for any input.

KristiM 11-22-2012 07:48 PM

I watched the first chapter and I really liked it. My only complaint is that from what I remember it talks a lot about training theory (operant conditioning etc.) which is always nice to have a refresher on but since i have read that info a million times it was a little redundant. You reminded me I should really watch the other chapters especially since the second one talks a lot about using the e collar for outs (which I do:))

I would say the more info you can get about using an e collar the better. I also read through Lou Castle's site as well and talked to several trainers/had their assistance when beginning to use the collar. You can really screw up a dog with an e collar if used improperly. I really like the way Michael Ellis introduces the collar, which is covered in the first chapter. To me that was worth the $25. (That being said if you want to use his system of collar introduction, your dog has to understand leash pressure and I'm not sure if that is covered in the e collar series.)

onyx'girl 11-22-2012 08:28 PM

I think anyone using an e-collar should have an experienced trainer helping them hands on. It is something that is trained for many sessions and not a quick thing to train if done right. I trained my dog to one and maybe it was overkill but it took us 3 months to teach different exercises & proof him on it.

I would view the ME video's so you can understand the theory, but have someone w/ experience help you when you train it.

Bear L 11-22-2012 09:40 PM

Thanks for the comments. I understand the importance of a trainer. This thread is only to evaluate the video.

I'm going to rent his video on recall also as it has a section on the ecollar too.

RocketDog 11-22-2012 09:47 PM

What do you do if you can't find a trainer who uses the ecollar like that? :confused:

I've found a couple here but they use it for correction based training only. I'm dead serious. I can NOT find a trainer here who uses the ecollar the way I would like to learn how. If anyone knows of someone in Spokane, please advise. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn by video only.

onyx'girl 11-22-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketDog (Post 2636836)
What do you do if you can't find a trainer who uses the ecollar like that? :confused:

I've found a couple here but they use it for correction based training only. I'm dead serious. I can NOT find a trainer here who uses the ecollar the way I would like to learn how. If anyone knows of someone in Spokane, please advise. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn by video only.

Thats too bad about not having a trainer to help you.
What is the main reason you want to use one?

KristiM 11-22-2012 10:28 PM

To be honest I have learned more about e collars through videos/reading ad doing my own research. I did get help from trainers but that's just because I am friends with a couple professional trainers. I am not new to dogs and training, but I would have been comfortable with just the info I got from doing my own research. The videos are good, as are all of the ME videos:)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

onyx'girl 11-22-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristiM (Post 2636859)
To be honest I have learned more about e collars through videos/reading ad doing my own research. I did get help from trainers but that's just because I am friends with a couple professional trainers. I am not new to dogs and training, but I would have been comfortable with just the info I got from doing my own research. The videos are good, as are all of the ME videos:)

I agree with you, but someone who doesn't have experience as a trainer may not be so successful training e-collar just from videos. Though if that is the only option $75 is a great deal!

x11 11-22-2012 10:45 PM

i heard the best way to introduce an e-collar is have someone else other than the handler operate it for you while you work the dog - i have never used one so just saying what i have heard.

KristiM 11-22-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x11 (Post 2636864)
i heard the best way to introduce an e-collar is have someone else other than the handler operate it for you while you work the dog - i have never used one so just saying what i have heard.

Yes this is VERY helpful. But the dog needs to become familiarized with what an e collar is before you start using it for behaviour modification. ME couples the use of the e collar with leash pressure on the prong so that the dog can become familiar with the sensation in a very controlled way.

ETA: the person with the remote better have a VERY good idea of what they are doing and what you are looking to accomplish. I would not just hand the remote off to anyone!!!