Has anyone been to the Michael Ellis School? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
On the reactivity part, the dogs are worked one at a time. However, unless that has changed in the last couple of years, all the dogs are crated next to each other in a room when they are not being worked.
Thank you!
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I like Michael Ellis and if I lived closer i would do it. He always looks like he just climbed out of bed on his dvds though. It seems to me he would try to look more professional on days that he is being filmed.
Nope that's just his hair he's very laid back, is who he is, no fakeness kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I brought my reactive dog. And yes they are all worked separate. But they are kept in a room in crates. So make sure your dog is in the end and cover the crate front with a sheet or blanket so she doesn't have to see he other dogs pass by. And just plan with other people to bring yours in and out without the other dogs around. Talk to Michael on the first day, and tell him your dog is dog reactive and have him show you the best way to get the dog in and out without causing issues. I asked ahead of time, and they told me yes, to bring my reactive dog. No problem.

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
I brought my reactive dog. And yes they are all worked separate. But they are kept in a room in crates. So make sure your dog is in the end and cover the crate front with a sheet or blanket so she doesn't have to see he other dogs pass by. And just plan with other people to bring yours in and out without the other dogs around. Talk to Michael on the first day, and tell him your dog is dog reactive and have him show you the best way to get the dog in and out without causing issues. I asked ahead of time, and they told me yes, to bring my reactive dog. No problem.

Good!!!
Yay!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We took Detection/Nosework classes from Andrew Ramsey, who now teaches them at the ME School. At the time though, the classes were at Andrew's house. The only time I was at the school was when Andrew and Jeff Frawley of Leerburg were filming the Nosework DVDs - Halo and I make a brief appearance in the first DVD, the Foundation of Nosework. They were also re-filming parts of some of Michael's DVDs where apparently the sound wasn't that great in the original, and we had to wait until they were ready for us, so we watched while they did that. Lindsey was there and a few other people I wasn't familiar with. And afterwards Michael came over and introduced himself to us and chatted for a minute.

We did private training with Lisa Maze for about 6 months, she's Michael's partner in the Loup du Soleil Belgian Malinois kennel, and she sometimes works at the school assisting with classes. I'd love to go to the school, it's not that far from me, but it's expensive!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'd like to go, I'm sure I'd learn a whole lot, but the price of the course, cost of travel, cost of lodging is a bit too much.

I'd say if you have the money, go for it.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I'd like to go, I'm sure I'd learn a whole lot, but the price of the course, cost of travel, cost of lodging is a bit too much.

I'd say if you have the money, go for it.
I figure I will save money, I have already spent tons and we are no way even close to being 'there'

Going to dog training school has always been on my bucket list, so why not, it is a perfect time having two GS pups
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

I've never even heard of him. Is he out in BC? I'll have to google him.

And fancy seeing you here Dotty! For a second I was confused and thought I was on the avenue

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by lzver; 11-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.