German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Compulsion training/desensitizing (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/194689-compulsion-training-desensitizing.html)

Zeeva 11-19-2012 12:14 PM

Compulsion training/desensitizing

I recently used compulsion (via suggestion of this forum) to desensitize Zeeva to trimming her nails. It worked real well. She was stressed for a bit but now I don't have to correct her when I trim her nails; she simply lies there without a worry in the world...

When is compulsion training/desensitizing appropriate and inappropriate? It seems like a world of possibilities has opened up but I'm not sure if the initial stress is worth it? Can you name some important things that compulsion is used for?

Some things I've been considering/are these inappropriate to use compulsion for?

vacuum
blow dryer
fireworks
barking too much
entering areas they shouldn't
knocking down the doggie gate

Also, and this is a separate issue, but which things are preference based and which things are required etiquette?

marking during walks
stalking mini prey
barking at strangers near the house

Sunflowers 11-19-2012 12:15 PM

What exactly do you mean when you say compulsion?

Zeeva 11-19-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 2633945)
What exactly do you mean when you say compulsion?

Using force. For example, I put Zeeva in a prong and corrected her whenever she moved while trimming her nails. She learned very quickly that trimming was better than the correction.

Does that make a little more sense?

gagsd 11-19-2012 12:20 PM

Here is a thread and video on "compulsion" training and fireworks.....
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...have-seen.html

Blanketback 11-19-2012 12:25 PM

I'd definitely not do that for fireworks. The vacuum - when you clean, or are you trying to use it for grooming? I use compulsion for when the dog can actually understand that there is a choice involved, and the wrong choice results in a correction. I like body blocking for area control, like staying out of the cat's room.

Sunflowers 11-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 2633949)
Using force. For example, I put Zeeva in a prong and corrected her whenever she moved while trimming her nails.

Got it.

Thanks.

Zeeva 11-19-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 2633963)
I'd definitely not do that for fireworks. The vacuum - when you clean, or are you trying to use it for grooming? I use compulsion for when the dog can actually understand that there is a choice involved, and the wrong choice results in a correction. I like body blocking for area control, like staying out of the cat's room.

Both...I'd like to be able to catch their dander since brushing doesn't necessarily do that. I'd also like them to not be afraid of the vacuum when I'm cleaning. They usually go outside when I so much as move the vacuum...

Blanketback 11-19-2012 12:41 PM

I just ignore the dogs when I vacuum, and if they bark they get told "Quiet" and if they lunge, they get told to leave the room. My puppy tries to start games with it, so ignoring him makes him give up and go play with something else. DH's dog was teased with it when she was a puppy (I know, don't get me started on that one, lol) so she does have an issue with it, but she's good at leaving the room. If either one of them were fiends about it, I'd just crate them. I've never used it for grooming, but desensitizing would probably be better that forcing it on them, if they're actually petrified of the thing.

jae 11-19-2012 12:52 PM

Personally do not allow marking or stalking while leashed, and believe that barking should be quieted on command.
Have you tried desensitizing and positive reinforcement with said equipment? My dog used to run for the hills with the vacuum, now he'll play with it, all I did was ignore him (and shut the door :eek: ) I would think that you certainly do not want a dead dog that responds with ears back and tail down, I have seen these dogs in class and they are just not enjoying it, while my dog is go-go-go and happy to listen and focus. That is not to say corrections should not be delivered, but as was mentioned, I correct only and rarely when there is a choice, during formal training, and when the dog knows it is wrong - breaking a known stay duration/distance, not sitting, breaking focus, etc. If the dog is clearly not comfortable, end what you are doing and do something fun, why push it?

JeanKBBMMMAAN 11-19-2012 03:46 PM

Compulsion is not desensitizing, which is why I think people were initially confused.

Did you ever get a chance to see
I would love to be able to try out her training!

I am always trying to train my dogs what I want them TO DO.